Old 18-04-2008, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Salsify and Scorzenera

"Plum" wrote in message
om...
Does anybody grow these? My grandmother used to in Wales but I do not
think
I have seen any anywhere in several decades. I tried with salsify in
Cambridge but my ground is stony and the roots split. They are both
delicious vegetables.

I grew a short row of each last year and had them for Christmas dinner, with
our unwanted cockerel (roasted) and our home-grown blue potatoes and (of
course) sprouts (home grown) and something else I can't remember.

This year's Christmas dinner is still only a couple of inches long but I can
wait!

As you say, they're delicious.

I wish we had a bigger garden but I'm not sacrificing the space for my
runner beans ...

Mary