Old 18-04-2008, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Salsify and Scorzenera

Does anybody grow these? My grandmother used to in Wales but I do not think
I have seen any anywhere in several decades. I tried with salsify in
Cambridge but my ground is stony and the roots split. They are both
delicious vegetables.

Old 18-04-2008, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Plum writes
Does anybody grow these? My grandmother used to in Wales but I do not think
I have seen any anywhere in several decades. I tried with salsify in
Cambridge but my ground is stony and the roots split. They are both
delicious vegetables.

Fiddly to prepare, though. Not very good volume to surface area ratio.

--
Kay
Old 18-04-2008, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Plum" wrote in message
om...
Does anybody grow these? My grandmother used to in Wales but I do not
think
I have seen any anywhere in several decades. I tried with salsify in
Cambridge but my ground is stony and the roots split. They are both
delicious vegetables.

I grew a short row of each last year and had them for Christmas dinner, with
our unwanted cockerel (roasted) and our home-grown blue potatoes and (of
course) sprouts (home grown) and something else I can't remember.

This year's Christmas dinner is still only a couple of inches long but I can
wait!

As you say, they're delicious.

I wish we had a bigger garden but I'm not sacrificing the space for my
runner beans ...

Mary

Old 19-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

I grew some Salsify in containers last year, dug some for Crimble dinner but they were really too small so I'm letting them grow on for use in the summer. I seem to remember from when I used to grow them 30 years or so ago that they should be allowed to grow for 2 seasons before use.

Re Salsify (more) partoo United Kingdom 0 13-04-2009 07:23 AM
Salsify Rock Creations United Kingdom 42 11-04-2009 03:07 PM
Birds and the Bees and Koi and the... Benign Vanilla Ponds 23 19-04-2004 03:06 PM
Birds and the Bees and Koi and the... Benign Vanilla Ponds 12 17-04-2004 08:05 PM
Salsify Stuart Baldwin United Kingdom 48 13-01-2004 01:04 AM