Old 21-04-2008, 12:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Thai Pepper plants having trouble - Florida - "pickinu"

David said:

Hey Pat,

Do you know of any organic safe fungicides which will cure Phytophera
(root root) ?

Well, this is more a prevention rather than cure situtuation.

Streptocmyces (Mycostop brand-name) can work against some types
of root rots.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/4dxuwh (links to the following)
http://www.groworganic.com/item_PFM1...fungicide_5_Gr
am_Pac.html?welcome=T&theses=2659964

Copper fungicides can be used in organic gardening, but I don't know
how well they would work as soil drenches vs. root rots.

Also, I find that some of the well draining soil that I use for palm
trees may not hold water well enough for pepers. I have been using a
cheap top-soil type product (sandy and mucky). I guess I should mix
the two ? The palm soil has a lot of saw dust, small mulch,
vermiculite, and florida peat (just a bit of sand).

With pepper plants, I think you would be much, much better off
with a standard peat- or coir-based planting mix. (There are
commercial mixes available now that are innoculated with
mycorrhizal and/or other beneficial fungi, plus compost.)

I confess to the, er, extravagence of mail-ordering my transplant mix
each year these days, as what's available locally is sometimes strange
(tiny stryrofoam balls?!) and occasionally catastrophically bad (mixed
with unfinished compost), especially early in the season, or else it's
Miracle Grow brand (with the brightly colored whatsisses in it so
you know it has been Miracle-ized).

Is it safe to plant a bunch of pepper seeds like this in one big
pot? I have only been planting one seed per 1 gallon container. Is
it good to seperate them like this?

It's better to plant seeds in small containers and pot them up as needed.
Oversized pots often result in plants being over watered, setting you
up for root rots. The top of the pot, where your tiny plant is, dries out,
while down below the soil is saturated and stagnant.

I start my peppers in small peat pellets, 2-3 seeds per pellet, then
transplant into 4" pots, then either into the ground or into gallon
sized pots or bigger pots. (The bigger pots are for really ornamental
varieties, where they are combined with other ornamental, edible plants.)

Thanks for your help!

You're welcome. Just paying it forward.

After enlightenment, the laundry.