Old 22-02-2003, 05:27 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Japanese White Pine Question

Welcome to the list - I'm a newbie as well, so here is something from the
voice of inexperience...I started off the winter with a Serrisa and a couple
of Ficus' underneath 3 double flourescents. Then after reading a bunch of
stuff here about Metal Halides, I got one of those on e-Bay. I now have
several Ficus', a Fukien Tea, 2 Calomondian oranges, a Jerusalem Cherry, a
Rosemary, and some Jade under the the flourescents and Metal Halide. I keep
the ones that need the most light under the Metal Halide and the others
under the flourescent. I also have a cold air humidifier going at all
times. Now I'm new at this - so have no experience at all - and my trees
are growing like crazy. I spend a goodly amount of time on the weekends
keeping them clipped, so they don't get bushy. I relocated my Serrisa's and
a Fukien Tea to a East facing window where they get great morning sun and
they are doing really well (the Serrisa's once they "recovered" from being
moved). So, if they can survive me - anyone willing to take the time
necessary to care for them should be ok. I'd recommend Ficus, Fukien Tea or
Jade as being relatively easy to care for and not too particular (the
exception being don't over-water). If you want something fairly "bullet
proof" and don't mind spending a little extra, you might try
http://www.fukubonsai.com where you can purchase "true" Indoor Bonsai. Good
luck.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

oldehippie wrote:

"I will also note that there is NO plant whose natural habitat is
inside a human-built structure."

Most Ficus plants do well inside with the addition of fluorescent lights
fairly close to the apex of the tree. My choice for indoors is a
Bougainvillea. They bloom during the coldest part of the year, and it
is a joy, while snow is falling to be able to enjoy the colorful Bracts
develop.

Which makes lot of sense. I also saw the below post:

"Growing bonsai indoors is best left to those with lots of experience, not
those just starting out."

So I'm guessing even those sold as "indoor bonsai" are just barely able to
be kept alive for a rank amature?

I have to agree to some extent, but both of theabove mentioned specie do
well indoors.

Now I am disabled and more able to devote time to one, and more than

willing
to read and learn, and happy I found this newsgroup too, is there any
suggestion as to which is heartier for indoors.

Where I live now I can't give any plant a south facing window, would a

plant
light help or should I continue looking and learning?

Absolutely, There are those that use Halide with great success. I use
fluorescents and I am quite happy with my trees. Of course, I am not
raising trees to show, just for my own pleasure.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++