Old 27-04-2008, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Reason we still direct seed is that our direct-seeded tomatoes harvest earlier than the transplanted ones

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:28:27 -0400, Bill wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?client=...ct+seed+vs+tra
nsplant&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e...mnews/oct03/oc
t03transplanting.html

łThe only reason we still direct seed is that our direct-seeded tomatoes
harvest earlier than the transplanted ones,˛ Sheely says.

Had to say it twice. My Dad said that when it is ripe to plant they
respond well. I'd add control makes us feel like we know what is going
on.

Bill

I just thought of a downside to this method. I always have volunteer
tomatoes in the garden, from dropped tomatoes and from compost.

How could you be sure of what was what?

Charlie

How about taking SOME of our seeds and plant directly close to time
appropriate . Names make us feel like we know what is what .Still the
ones in my compost seem to ignore false starts and grow because it is
their nature. I hope this sheds light on why do we may or may not need
potting soil.
I like to start things in my cold frame but maybe it is my ego.

Heavy duty questions no answers just on going experiments.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...ect+seed+vs+tr
ansplant&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Bill

--