Old 28-04-2008, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Aubrieta Slver Variegated - leaves at base of stems dying

On 28/4/08 19:23, in article JaKdnYXbe9Cyi4vVnZ2dnUVZ8t-nnZ2d@plusnet, "Tom"
wrote:

Hi, I have one of these in a small trough on my terrace. It's a lovely
plant but the leaves at the base of each stem are going brown and look
like they are dying.

Could this be a lack of water? I've got to admit I'm on the light side
with my watering (not much, but I definitely don't overwater). The
trough is exposed to the rain though.

Any help GREATLY appreciated, I really like this plant.

Thanks,

Tom

Aubretia is a rock plant. It needs to drain well. Raise the trough on some
of those feet thingies you can buy, or even on a couple of stones, so that
it drains well after watering or after rain. Let it dry out almost entirely
between waterings and then still let it drain. Aubretia is usually grown in
walls and banks so it drains freely. I may be wrong but I suspect this is
your problem. It's one of my favourite plants because it's one of the first
I remember from my childhood. My grandfather had it tumbling from 4' high
stone walls in the front of his garden. I think that's a clue as to its
preferred treatment.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk