Old 28-04-2008, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

Default Aubrieta Slver Variegated - leaves at base of stems dying

Hi, I have one of these in a small trough on my terrace. It's a lovely
plant but the leaves at the base of each stem are going brown and look
like they are dying.

Could this be a lack of water? I've got to admit I'm on the light side
with my watering (not much, but I definitely don't overwater). The
trough is exposed to the rain though.

Any help GREATLY appreciated, I really like this plant.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 28-04-2008, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/4/08 19:23, in article JaKdnYXbe9Cyi4vVnZ2dnUVZ8t-nnZ2d@plusnet, "Tom"
wrote:

Hi, I have one of these in a small trough on my terrace. It's a lovely
plant but the leaves at the base of each stem are going brown and look
like they are dying.

Could this be a lack of water? I've got to admit I'm on the light side
with my watering (not much, but I definitely don't overwater). The
trough is exposed to the rain though.

Any help GREATLY appreciated, I really like this plant.

Thanks,

Tom

Aubretia is a rock plant. It needs to drain well. Raise the trough on some
of those feet thingies you can buy, or even on a couple of stones, so that
it drains well after watering or after rain. Let it dry out almost entirely
between waterings and then still let it drain. Aubretia is usually grown in
walls and banks so it drains freely. I may be wrong but I suspect this is
your problem. It's one of my favourite plants because it's one of the first
I remember from my childhood. My grandfather had it tumbling from 4' high
stone walls in the front of his garden. I think that's a clue as to its
preferred treatment.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-04-2008, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Tom is offline

wrote:

[...]

Ah, thanks, I'll try this. The drainage *should* be ok as there are two
holes at the bottom of the trough and I filled it with a layer of stones
first.

BUT, it was raining last night, and this morning when I raised the
trough slightly water drained out... I thought the texture of the patio
would be enough to prevent a seal but maybe not.

Thanks a lot,

Tom
Old 29-04-2008, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ah, thanks, I'll try this. The drainage *should* be ok as there are two
holes at the bottom of the trough and I filled it with a layer of stones
first.

BUT, it was raining last night, and this morning when I raised the
trough slightly water drained out... I thought the texture of the patio
would be enough to prevent a seal but maybe not.

Thanks a lot,

Tom

Mine has done well this year, for the first time ever, but that was
after I re-dug the whole bed and introduced more compost i.e. just the
conditions it's not supposed to like. It still prefers to go backwards
rather than trail over the wall though
Old 29-04-2008, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

There are two schools of thought on this. Some people think putting stones
in helps with drainage, while others think they act as a wick, remaining wet
and drawing moisture up to the roots! Some prefer larger pieces like broken
pots.

BUT, it was raining last night, and this morning when I raised the
trough slightly water drained out... I thought the texture of the patio
would be enough to prevent a seal but maybe not.

I think you've found the problem and let's hope that's an end to it for you.

Variegated Leaves Wendy7 Garden Photos 0 03-05-2008 05:58 AM
Iris with variegated leaves Wendy7 Garden Photos 3 14-03-2008 05:43 PM
Variegated leaves have lost their pattern! Peter Jason Gardening 7 04-01-2005 05:43 AM
Dying from the Base Up!!!!! west Orchids 11 04-10-2003 12:42 PM