Old 30-04-2008, 10:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George.com George.com is offline

Default Ripening late tomatos with bananas

At the end of April I still have some late green tomatos out on my vines. I
want to ripen them before frosts arrive so I took some in recently that had
just started to get some colour and put them in a paper bag with a ripening
banana. Within a few days the tomatos had ripened. Bananas emit ethylene
gas, pears or apples can also be used. I have dark green ones in bags at the
moment ripening. Well worth doing for ripening late season tomatos if your
autumn sun is rapidly dissappearing but you want to make the most of a long
summers crop. I have been enjoying tomatos for 4 months now.

rob