Old 30-04-2008, 10:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Ripening late tomatos with bananas

At the end of April I still have some late green tomatos out on my vines. I
want to ripen them before frosts arrive so I took some in recently that had
just started to get some colour and put them in a paper bag with a ripening
banana. Within a few days the tomatos had ripened. Bananas emit ethylene
gas, pears or apples can also be used. I have dark green ones in bags at the
moment ripening. Well worth doing for ripening late season tomatos if your
autumn sun is rapidly dissappearing but you want to make the most of a long
summers crop. I have been enjoying tomatos for 4 months now.

rob

Old 30-04-2008, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:15:17 +1200, "George.com"
wrote:

At the end of April I still have some late green tomatos out on my vines. I
want to ripen them before frosts arrive so I took some in recently that had
just started to get some colour and put them in a paper bag with a ripening
banana. Within a few days the tomatos had ripened. Bananas emit ethylene
gas, pears or apples can also be used. I have dark green ones in bags at the
moment ripening. Well worth doing for ripening late season tomatos if your
autumn sun is rapidly dissappearing but you want to make the most of a long
summers crop. I have been enjoying tomatos for 4 months now.

rob

Banana is not needed. I pick the mature tomatoes at the end of the
season, just before the first frost is announced. Toss any with
imperfections. Wrap each in newspaper and store a few layers in a
box. I seem to remember that we put ours in the garage. Frost in
November and we had tomatoes in January. We went through the box at
least once a week and took out the ripe ones and tossed any that were
going bad.

Some people pull the whole plant and hang it upside down in a garage.
--
Susan N.

Old 30-04-2008, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

At the end of April I still have some late green tomatos out on my vines. I
want to ripen them before frosts arrive so I took some in recently that had
just started to get some colour and put them in a paper bag with a ripening
banana. Within a few days the tomatos had ripened. Bananas emit ethylene
gas, pears or apples can also be used. I have dark green ones in bags at the
moment ripening. Well worth doing for ripening late season tomatos if your
autumn sun is rapidly dissappearing but you want to make the most of a long
summers crop. I have been enjoying tomatos for 4 months now.

rob

I've tried it, with no apparent difference in ripening from just stored
tomatoes.
--

Billy
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related
Old 30-04-2008, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"George.com" wrote in message
At the end of April I still have some late green tomatos out on my vines.
I want to ripen them before frosts arrive so I took some in recently that
had just started to get some colour and put them in a paper bag with a
ripening banana. Within a few days the tomatos had ripened. Bananas emit
ethylene gas, pears or apples can also be used. I have dark green ones in
bags at the moment ripening. Well worth doing for ripening late season
tomatos if your autumn sun is rapidly dissappearing but you want to make
the most of a long summers crop. I have been enjoying tomatos for 4 months
now.

rob

When I pull out all the old tomato plants I pick off ALL the fruit no matter
what sizeor colour. I put the vines in a basket and daily pick over the
fruit and select the ripened ones. The pile becomes smaller and smaller, the
last fruit are always eaten Chrismas Eve with our stand pie. Many are still
very small but it's tradition!

Mary

Old 01-05-2008, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

At the end of April I still have some late green tomatos out on my vines. I
want to ripen them before frosts arrive so I took some in recently that had
just started to get some colour and put them in a paper bag with a ripening
banana. Within a few days the tomatos had ripened. Bananas emit ethylene
gas, pears or apples can also be used. I have dark green ones in bags at the
moment ripening. Well worth doing for ripening late season tomatos if your
autumn sun is rapidly dissappearing but you want to make the most of a long
summers crop. I have been enjoying tomatos for 4 months now.

rob

If you really want to try and ripen them, use an apple - it will give
off ethylene gas which is what triggers the ripening.

You can use them green of course, to make chutney, relish, or pickles.

- Mark

Old 12-05-2008, 05:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:23:55 -0500, The Cook wrote:

:
snip
:
Some people pull the whole plant and hang it upside down in a garage.

Are you sure you're not talking marijuana ?

= Me =