Old 30-04-2008, 12:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Ray B Ray B is offline

Default Another disappointment - encyclia

My understanding is that the Epi floribundum has not been dragged into
encyclia like others, so that's an epicyclia (?)

Also, keep in mind that cultural conditions and nutrition can affect color,
so maybe that's part of the difference.

"tenman" wrote in message
news:AMCdnU2B57WATIrVnZ2dnUVZ_tbinZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
I got this at Redlands last year. The man assured me - I made him swear
- that all the seedlings had bloomed out the same. He absolutely refused
to sell me the only one then in bloom which I wanted as it was his
'display' plant. I loved the clear, bright apple green with no brown in
it of the petals and the oddly pink lip that was a true light crayon
pink - not lavender or purple.

I got darkish brown green petals and a purple lip (it's darker and more
purple than the pic shows). Of course. It's a heavy bloomer, so there
will be LOTS of ugly brownish flowers. Oh yay.

Enc.floribunda x cordigera, and I don't find that it's been registered
(if the now horribly mislabelled, misguided and jumbled RHS site is any
good any more).