Old 30-04-2008, 02:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Default Another disappointment - encyclia

I got this at Redlands last year. The man assured me - I made him swear
- that all the seedlings had bloomed out the same. He absolutely refused
to sell me the only one then in bloom which I wanted as it was his
'display' plant. I loved the clear, bright apple green with no brown in
it of the petals and the oddly pink lip that was a true light crayon
pink - not lavender or purple.

I got darkish brown green petals and a purple lip (it's darker and more
purple than the pic shows). Of course. It's a heavy bloomer, so there
will be LOTS of ugly brownish flowers. Oh yay.

Enc.floribunda x cordigera, and I don't find that it's been registered
(if the now horribly mislabelled, misguided and jumbled RHS site is any
good any more).

Attached Thumbnails
Another disappointment - encyclia-floricordi.jpg
Old 30-04-2008, 12:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

My understanding is that the Epi floribundum has not been dragged into
encyclia like others, so that's an epicyclia (?)

Also, keep in mind that cultural conditions and nutrition can affect color,
so maybe that's part of the difference.

news:AMCdnU2B57WATIrVnZ2dnUVZ_tbinZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

Old 30-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Registered User

Ray B:

Also, keep in mind that cultural conditions and nutrition can affect color, so maybe that's part of the difference.

and maybe it will also get lighter with age?

--j_a
Old 30-04-2008, 09:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

I have this cross in bloom right now. Fortunately, the colors are clear and
true. According to OrchidWiz, it is Epy. Mabel Kanda. If I get time I'll try
for a picture tomorrow.

Diana

Ray B:

--
jankey

Old 01-05-2008, 02:08 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

Diana Kulaga wrote:
I have this cross in bloom right now. Fortunately, the colors are clear and
true. According to OrchidWiz, it is Epy. Mabel Kanda. If I get time I'll try
for a picture tomorrow.

Diana

The RHS site lists Epicyclia Mable Kanda as Enc.cordigera x
Epi.densiflorum. This cross is labelled Epi.floribundum x Enc.cordigera.
Are floribundum and densiflorum conspecific?

Old 01-05-2008, 09:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids

See he

http://www.orchidspecies.com/epifloribundum.htm

According to os.com, both floribundum and densiflorum are synonyms of Epi.
paniculatum. Gets confusing.

Diana

. ..

"tenman" wrote in message
Diana Kulaga wrote:
I have this cross in bloom right now. Fortunately, the colors are clear
and true. According to OrchidWiz, it is Epy. Mabel Kanda. If I get time
I'll try for a picture tomorrow.

Diana

The RHS site lists Epicyclia Mable Kanda as Enc.cordigera x
Epi.densiflorum. This cross is labelled Epi.floribundum x Enc.cordigera.
Are floribundum and densiflorum conspecific?

Rate This Thread: