Old 01-05-2008, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Lots of small soak aways

In article ,
kitey writes:

| I have just moved into a 2nd hand house and the garden is very boggy.
|
| I have spoken to my next door neighbour who has dug a 6ft soakaway,
| and could not get through the clay layer :-(
|
| Would a posible option be to pepper the lawn with 1m deep 100mm wide
| holes filled with gravel?
|
| If so what distance should the holes be apart e.g. every 6ft ?

A waste of time. If you can't get through to better draining soil,
a soakaway will just fill up and become useless. It makes little
difference whether you have one large one or lots of small ones.

The main exception is in summer, where such a soakaway can help to
prevent short periods of heavy rain from making everything boggy.
But it needs to be large enough to hold the run-off (1/8"-2" over
the area it drains, depending on your criteria).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.