Old 02-05-2008, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Lots of small soak aways

"George.com" wrote in message

"kitey" wrote in message
Hello,

I have just moved into a 2nd hand house and the garden is very boggy.

I have spoken to my next door neighbour who has dug a 6ft soakaway,
and could not get through the clay layer :-(

Would a posible option be to pepper the lawn with 1m deep 100mm wide
holes filled with gravel?

If so what distance should the holes be apart e.g. every 6ft ?

I dug (over a period of days) a soak hole for my garage. I went down about
5 foot 6 inchs, thats a little over 1 1/2 metres, still in the clay layer
but deep enought to cope with run off the roof. Just try digging a little
deeper than your neighbour. It really is good fun digging, really it is,
really. Great way to spend a spring holiday.

rob

even better is crawling under your house installing polystyrene insulation

but don't make it a longish, sort of 2 metres long, by a narrowish, sort of
3/4 metre wide if it is within window view of neighbour's houses ;-)

Mike