Old 05-04-2003, 03:32 PM
bill sherren

Default Some Carnivourous Plant Questions

"lorisarvendu" loris@anon wrote in message
On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:22:35 -0000, "bill sherren"
wrote:

"lorisarvendu" loris@anon wrote in message
news
I have a venus fly trap, which I've had for about 2 months now. It's
doing very well, and now appears to be putting out a flower. Is this
usual for the UK in winter?

I also have a pitcher planet (nepenthes) which is doing suspiciously
well too.

They are both on an east-facing window ledge in a nice warm
double-glazed (& steamy) bathroom.

Can anyone advise me about how regular I should be feeding these?

cheers

-L

Hi
Neither plant needs feeding, as they are surprisingly successful at

catching
any passing flies, wasps etc.
I would move the venus flytrap to a cooler environment as it needs to

become
dormant for the winter. If it stays too warm it will eventually become
weaker and die. The flower stalk should also be removed as that can

weaken
the plant as well. The nepenthes if it is happy can stay where it is.

This
species does not become dormant.
Also reduce the watering for the venus flytrap. Allow the saucer it is
standing in to dry out between watering.

Hope that helps!

cheers

bill
www.fly-catchers.co.uk

Hi Bill

Thanks for the advice. I'll find somewhere else for the venus. The
nepenthes is a very beautiful and fascinating plant - a few of the
pitchers have exuded a sticky sweet-smellling juice - smells just like
candy-floss!

Nice site too, I shall add it to my favourites!

cheers

-L

Hope it helps!
Nepenthes are one of my all time favorite plants!
Glad you liked the site.

cheers

bill