Old 03-05-2008, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B Ray B is offline

Default Must I repot phals?

If your question is about repotting them into the same sized pots, that
shouldn't be a problem.

If, on the other hand, you are asking about not repotting them at all,
unless you are growing in an inert medium, you should expect the potting
medium to decompose, become too compact, and then suffocate the roots,
killing them.

"Jane" wrote in message
I have seven phals. They have all been repotted once. Most are in 6"
pots. They are doing very well and have bloomed either two or three
times.

Question: is it necessary to constantly repot them as the roots fill
the pot? I just don't have room for larger pots and I wondered what I
could expect if I leave them in these pots permanently. Some have
long roots growing over the top of their pot.

I do change the potting medium every time they finish blooming.

Thanks

Jane