Old 03-05-2008, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Must I repot phals?

I have seven phals. They have all been repotted once. Most are in 6"
pots. They are doing very well and have bloomed either two or three
times.

Question: is it necessary to constantly repot them as the roots fill
the pot? I just don't have room for larger pots and I wondered what I
could expect if I leave them in these pots permanently. Some have
long roots growing over the top of their pot.

I do change the potting medium every time they finish blooming.

Thanks

Jane
Old 03-05-2008, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

If your question is about repotting them into the same sized pots, that
shouldn't be a problem.

If, on the other hand, you are asking about not repotting them at all,
unless you are growing in an inert medium, you should expect the potting
medium to decompose, become too compact, and then suffocate the roots,
killing them.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

--

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -www.firstrays.com

"Jane" wrote in message

I have seven phals. They have all been repotted once. Most are in 6"
pots. They are doing very well and have bloomed either two or three
times.

Question: is it necessary to constantly repot them as the roots fill
the pot? I just don't have room for larger pots and I wondered what I
could expect if I leave them in these pots permanently. Some have
long roots growing over the top of their pot.

I do change the potting medium every time they finish blooming.

Thanks

Jane

As I mentioned I always change the medium after they bloom. So - if
the roots fill the pot it's OK to put them back in the same pot with
new medium? I shouldn't do any root pruning, right?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

In article
,
Jane wrote:

As I mentioned I always change the medium after they bloom. So - if
the roots fill the pot it's OK to put them back in the same pot with
new medium? I shouldn't do any root pruning, right?

pot should fit the rootball. that can be same pot, or larger, or even
smaller.

personally i don't cut off any good roots on phals, but i hear there are
ppl out there that do. certainly cut off mushy or black roots though.

--j_a
Old 04-05-2008, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

It probably wouldn't happen every year, but eventually, your Phals should
grow to the point where they become difficult to handle in 6" pots. You can
delay that to some extent with watering -- a bigger plant generally needs to
be watered more often than a smaller plant in the same size pot.

I prefer not to "prune" healthy roots, but sometimes a plant has such an
overabundance that it can afford to lose a few, if that's what it takes to
get it into the pot size you want it to fit into. On that note, I prefer
not to stuff aerial roots into the next pot to get them into medium. I
don't mind them "hanging out." Kenni

To Repot or Not to Repot Jane Orchids 5 01-09-2008 04:31 PM
To repot or not to repot, that is the question Jane Orchids 21 03-04-2007 05:32 AM
[IBC] *** [IBC] Hemlock repot ? Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 15-03-2003 06:44 PM
[IBC] Hemlock repot ? Robert O'Brien Bonsai 3 15-03-2003 04:08 PM
B. Nodosa: to repot or not? Orchids 8 27-02-2003 07:06 AM