Old 04-05-2008, 06:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default prazi

On Sun, 4 May 2008 11:04:24 EDT, wrote:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA033

So Jo Ann tried droncit (a name brand prazi) with her goldfish and either the low
concentrations only knocked the gyros and dacs (monogenians) down temporarily OR, at
higher concentrations it ripped the gills up. She tried this stuff for around 6
months and gave up because of its affect on gills. Her GF were in reasonably soft
water. Soft water is not very protective against chemicals and metals.

I'm confused. Just seems common sense that low concentrations wouldn't do
the trick. Kind of like only taking an antibiotic until you feel better and
not finishing the bottle. And higher doses are sure to cause damage, like
taking all the antibiotic in several days when it is suppose to last 10.
Then she tried it for 6 months? My understanding is it is a one shot
treatment that one would do in spring & fall, or if no problems perhaps
fall only.... or not at all.

And perhaps, if she purchased it off e-bay, it wasn't prazi/droncit at all?
(I don't have a lot of faith in e-bay, too many scams.) And droncit is used
on cats & dogs, so if she was trying to save money by purchasing the
dog/cat version, perhaps the non-active ingredients were a problem for the
fish? Or the chemical make up was such that it didn't dissolve as well in
the water?

The link above discusses monogeneans and that "Morbidity and mortality epidemics in
cultured fish caused by excessive parasite loads are associated with crowding,
inadequate sanitation and deterioration of water quality. Although monogeneans are
commonly found on wild fish, they are rarely a direct cause of disease or death in
free-ranging populations."

Yea, I got that feeling also, just info on flukes. Nothing mentioned on
prazi.

PP is very safe when stock solutions are used and the reason it is recommended by
Floyd et al is that it is also effective against columnaris which is likely to be
present with a monogenean outbreak. OTOH, the peroxide dip effectively kills both
dacs and gyros and is incredibly cheap and safe for fish and humans.

so now I guess it is up to everyone to pick their poison. Ingrid

I think you said it all with that last statement. Imho, if one is a
biochemist/vet one could play around, buy cheap and do the deed without the
directions. Me, I'll pay the extra to have those written directions. Small
ponds aren't that expensive to treat with one shot prazi.

PP, lots of info on the web for using this product with fish, course it can
fry the filter and you have to treat more often. It will do more than
prazi, and decrease the mulm on the bottom at the same time. Unfortunately
that mulm also affects the concentration/treatment. Then there is that
question based on color, is it gone and can I add another dose? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us