Old 05-05-2008, 01:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default Hostas

In article ,
Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Kurt Ullman said:

We have some some Hostas that have gone past big into gargantuan. Can
we separate these into two or more plants and then replant the second
plant somewhere else? Is timing important or can I do it now.

It's a good time [1]. Fall is actually a better time, but a bit more
difficult because the foilage is large. In the spring, when they're just
emerging, the foilage is out of the way. If it's early enough (you don't
state your location), and only the first set of leaves has hardened off
(and the second set is beginning to appear, you won't have any new roots to
worry about. Soaking the ground all around the plant will make the soil
much more pliable and forgiving on the pulling roots.

Central Indiana. They are largely just beginning to peak through
the mulch.

The above method is more time-consuming, but will result in better looking
plants /this/ season, than simply plunging a sharp spade through the center
of the crown. That will work, but it may be next year before the plant
looks it's best again.

Thanks. We are looking to fill in some plants at our tree line with
the neighboring farm field , hostas are shade tolerant and getting too
big. Two birds as it were.