Old 05-05-2008, 11:37 AM posted to rec.gardens
John Bachman John Bachman is offline

Default Lights For Indoor plants?

On Sun, 04 May 2008 19:47:21 -0500, Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2008 07:07:46 -0400, John Bachman
wrote:

On Sat, 3 May 2008 11:36:12 -0400, Johnny Borborigmi

On 2008-05-02 12:28:22 -0400, luckytiff02
said:

I have a bunch of plants on my room. this is the first year I have tried
to grow anything. so I don't know which kind of light to use when I take
them inside. I have a long hanging 'pendant lights'
(http://tinyurl.com/3rngzp) but I think its not good for my plants. I
really don't have much natural light coming through my windows. Also I
would like to know whats the best brands and others details about the
light fixtures.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy regular 4 foot shop lights.
Inexpensive and it's all you need.

I used 48" flourescents for many years but last year tried the CFLs.
CFLs have a broader light spectrum than ordinary flourescents so I
thought that it was worth a try.

What I did not realize was that the smaller CFLs in a painters fixture
was much easier to get close to the seedlings. And when I have some
tall seedlings (tomatoes for instance) next to some short seedlings
(something recently started, I can direct one CFL down close to the
short guys and another close to the tall guys.

My results were excellent and I am using the CFLs again this year.

John

Thanks for the tip, John. I shall try this next year. You using
100watt equivalent CFLs?

Yes, I use the biggest ones I can get.

When you say painters fixtures, do you mean reflective hanging
fixtures, half globe shaped, such as the fixture used for heat lamps on
chicks?

Geez, never thought of attracting chicks that way. Does it really
work?

John

Care
Charlie