Old 02-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Registered User

Default Lights For Indoor plants?

I have a bunch of plants on my room. this is the first year I have tried to grow anything. so I don't know which kind of light to use when I take them inside. I have a long hanging pendant lights but I think its not good for my plants. I really don't have much natural light coming through my windows. Also I would like to know whats the best brands and others details about the light fixtures.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Derryl Killan Wrote

If your plants are small in size I suggest Gro Lux Fluorescent Tubes ina
4 Ft. fixture. They have the red and blue light that plants need.

Garden centers probably have the tubes and a lighting supply house will
have the 48" fixtures.

Derryl

Calgary

(http://tinyurl.com/3rngzp) but I think its not good for my plants. I

Old 03-05-2008, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

I've used ordinary 48" fluorescent lamps for about thirty years with
excellent results. However, you may wish to rig the lights (or a bank of
lights) with a pulley so you can raise/lower the lights as the seedlings
grow. Alternatively, you can always place something underneath the sprouted
seedlings to raise them closer to the light, especially if you have seeds
from various plants that sprout at different times. Keep your seedlings as
close as practicable to the lights so the plants don't become spindly or
"leggy." Before long, you'll gain experience and confidence.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 3 May 2008 11:36:12 -0400, Johnny Borborigmi

On 2008-05-02 12:28:22 -0400, luckytiff02
said:

I have a bunch of plants on my room. this is the first year I have tried
to grow anything. so I don't know which kind of light to use when I take
them inside. I have a long hanging 'pendant lights'
(http://tinyurl.com/3rngzp) but I think its not good for my plants. I
really don't have much natural light coming through my windows. Also I
would like to know whats the best brands and others details about the
light fixtures.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and buy regular 4 foot shop lights.
Inexpensive and it's all you need.

I used 48" flourescents for many years but last year tried the CFLs.
CFLs have a broader light spectrum than ordinary flourescents so I
thought that it was worth a try.

What I did not realize was that the smaller CFLs in a painters fixture
was much easier to get close to the seedlings. And when I have some
tall seedlings (tomatoes for instance) next to some short seedlings
(something recently started, I can direct one CFL down close to the
short guys and another close to the tall guys.

My results were excellent and I am using the CFLs again this year.

John
Old 05-05-2008, 11:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2008-05-02 12:28:22 -0400, luckytiff02
said:

[...]

Thanks for the tip, John. I shall try this next year. You using
100watt equivalent CFLs?

Yes, I use the biggest ones I can get.

When you say painters fixtures, do you mean reflective hanging
fixtures, half globe shaped, such as the fixture used for heat lamps on
chicks?

Geez, never thought of attracting chicks that way. Does it really
work?

John

Care
Charlie

Old 06-05-2008, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2008-05-02 12:28:22 -0400, luckytiff02
said:

[...]

You mean the regular CFL bulbs? I am new to growing indoors as well
and I had this same exact question. Good thing I came here. I am
planning to do bonsai keeping them on shelves that may or may not be
able to move with spot lights above mounted on the wall, possibly in
track lighting that is mounted vertically for adjustments. Do you
think this setup will be feasible? everything I have seen for grow
light bulbs puts them at about $40-$50 with one of those cheap clip-on
spot domes. If CFLs work then I may be in business.

What do you guys think?

Bill D.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2008-05-02 12:28:22 -0400, luckytiff02
said:

[...]

23 watt (100 watt incandescent equivalent) CFLs work great.
23 watt PAR CFL reflector floods work even better, putting all the
light on your plants instead of burning your eyes. The enclosed
design is safer, too, reducing breakage and containing the
tiny little bit of mercury in case they _do_ break.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Registered User

You can use a pulley rig the lighting, the light can increase or decrease plant growth. Additionally, you can always put something under the lift they were close to the germination of plants, especially when you have a variety of different times of seed plants.
hydroponic
Old 12-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Registered User

Fluorescent lighting generates almost no heat in the factory, and in this respect is a much better choice. Fluorescent lights do not require a ballast for the factory units function correctly and the units can be bulky, in addition to the size of the factory lights in shape.
Pond Kits
Old 14-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Registered User

This would depend on your needs and how much plants you have. There are those spot bulbs, compact fluorescent or the standard ones. Some just come in standard form, others with fixtures. It may also depend on your budget. You may search for some good price ranges online and see what would work best for you, your plants and your room size. Good luck!