Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
John - Pa. John - Pa. is offline

Default Flower Quiz - 20081544.jpg

Thanks for all of the responses... and sorry for the delay, but I am
not out here every day.

Yea, they are pawpaw. I have never had a pawpaw and I don't recall
ever even seeing a pawpaw patch. They do get suckers however, and I
can see where the "patch" part comes from. I put in grapes and
raspberries a couple of years ago, and when I read the description of
these "...having the flavor and texture of banana custard" I had to
try them.

I guess that pawpaw are native a little further south than I am in SE
Pennsylvania, but the trees seem to be doing OK in our USDA zone 6-7
area. The guy with the flowers is supposed to be a graft on mango,
which (they say) alters the flavor to be more vanilla-custard than
banana-custard. We will see.

Thanks

JD

I forgot about the 'recipe' part. They're great raw, though some people
find the skins a little bitter (not me - I eat them like a soft apple)-
but you do have to watch out for the lima-bean sized seeds.

I have made a wonderfully heavy sweet nutbread out of them, and a friend
and I made pawpaw ice cream a couple years back. Let me know if you want
the recipes.

Tennis