Old 04-05-2008, 11:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Default Flower Quiz - 20081544.jpg

Here's a little "quiz". This is a fruit tree flower that is unusual
where I live, though I suppose it could almost be a weed to some
folks. I put in two specimens two years ago, and the one is covered in
these downward facing flowers (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 in. across) that
appear before the leaves. Unfortunately, I don't expect to be enjoying
the fruit this year, because (I have read) it requires
cross-pollination from two individuals, and my second tree is still
too small to flower.

If you know what it is, I'd love to hear some recipes. Or do you just
eat it straight off the tree?

BTW, the one who is covered in flowers came mail-order from Stark
Bros., and the anemic one still struggling to grow up came from
Miller. Based on this one example, I will be buying future stuff from
Stark and not Miller.

JD
Canon 1D-mkIII
EXIF Data Included
e-mail: blissful-wind(at)usa.net

Additional images at;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-pa/

Attached Thumbnails
Flower Quiz - 20081544.jpg-20081544.jpg
Old 04-05-2008, 11:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

On Sun, 04 May 2008 18:26:06 -0400, John - Pa. wrote:

[...]

I remember something like that but it has been a half century or more.
I would like to know when you find out.
Could not the place you purchase from be of help. But I guess you
already tried that route.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

John - Pa. wrote:
[...]

Sure looks like a Pawpaw to me! I have four of them I put in two years
ago; what area are you in? Mine has buds but I am a week or two away
form flowers.

Tennis in Ohio
Old 05-05-2008, 11:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

John - Pa. wrote in message
Here's a little "quiz". This is a fruit tree flower that is unusual
where I live, though I suppose it could almost be a weed to some
folks. I put in two specimens two years ago, and the one is covered in
these downward facing flowers (maybe 1/2 to 3/4 in. across) that
appear before the leaves. Unfortunately, I don't expect to be enjoying
the fruit this year, because (I have read) it requires
cross-pollination from two individuals, and my second tree is still
too small to flower.

If you know what it is, I'd love to hear some recipes. Or do you just
eat it straight off the tree?

BTW, the one who is covered in flowers came mail-order from Stark
Bros., and the anemic one still struggling to grow up came from
Miller. Based on this one example, I will be buying future stuff from
Stark and not Miller.

Looks like a paw-paw. I wouldn't cook such fruit, eat it raw or perhaps in a
smoothie.

Mary

Old 05-05-2008, 04:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

John - Pa. wrote:
[...]

I forgot about the 'recipe' part. They're great raw, though some people
find the skins a little bitter (not me - I eat them like a soft apple)-
but you do have to watch out for the lima-bean sized seeds.

I have made a wonderfully heavy sweet nutbread out of them, and a friend
and I made pawpaw ice cream a couple years back. Let me know if you want
the recipes.

Tennis

Old 05-05-2008, 07:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

"tenman" wrote in message

I have made a wonderfully heavy sweet nutbread out of them, and a friend
and I made pawpaw ice cream a couple years back. Let me know if you want
the recipes.

Tennis

Hmm.

I'm supposed to be losing weight - well, in fact I've lost 1 1/2 stones
since August last year (not that Spouse notices) so I don't want the recipes
for paw paw icecream.

But if you post it I might just keep the recipe in my folder for when we
have guests ...

chuckle

Mary

Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens

Thanks for all of the responses... and sorry for the delay, but I am
not out here every day.

Yea, they are pawpaw. I have never had a pawpaw and I don't recall
ever even seeing a pawpaw patch. They do get suckers however, and I
can see where the "patch" part comes from. I put in grapes and
raspberries a couple of years ago, and when I read the description of
these "...having the flavor and texture of banana custard" I had to
try them.

I guess that pawpaw are native a little further south than I am in SE
Pennsylvania, but the trees seem to be doing OK in our USDA zone 6-7
area. The guy with the flowers is supposed to be a graft on mango,
which (they say) alters the flavor to be more vanilla-custard than
banana-custard. We will see.

Thanks

JD