Thread: moss problem
View Single Post
  #13   Report Post  
Old 07-05-2008, 05:14 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
Each year I get some problem with moss mostly on my front lawn, but this
year it more prolific and has nearly covered my back lawn.
I have used 'Evergreeen' feed, weed and mosskiller, which it did, then I
raked up about 90 odd percent of it on both lawns, and now I have ended
up with quite a few bare areas with not much grass.
After cutting both lawns I have seen that there are still a few small
areas of moss where I missed when treating the lawns.

What should I do now, or what sequence of events should I follow to get
both lawns looking better again?

Thanks
Thats the problem with these all in one treatments. Always judge which is the bigger portion - grass or weeds? before applying. Then you'll know what will be left, grass or soil!

Moss is a 'short daylight' plant thats why it grows in the winter and disappears in the summer.

In spring, scarify the grass with a metal tyne rake. Its a series of wire prongs that get right into the thatch. Give it a good raking which will remove some, not all of the moss and the dead thatch that exists at the grass roots. This will let in more oxygen and help with drainage.

Through the usmmer feed the lawn, I use a liquid feed called 'Lawn Magic' which I think is better than pellets which can burn the lawn if it doesnt rain soon after application. Best applied with a Superspray which attache sto the hosepipe or its time consuming applying via watering can, but the stuff works a treat. Get both mail order from www.superspray.co.uk have a look at this picture

http://www.superspray.co.uk/feeding%20long%20lawn.JPG

To repair small bare patches left by hand weeding [ removing larger weeds by cutting off their roots low down into the ground] I have couple of pot carrying trays from th eGC which I fill the circles with compost and sow grass seed. You produce circle of new turf which will fit into the space left and look very nice straight away!