Old 09-05-2008, 02:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
C. Berlin C. Berlin is offline

Default when to move plants outside?

I have a small collection with a lot of phals, and a few dendrobiums, paphs,
cymbidiums, masdevalias, oncidiums, lc, and a brassia, odontoglossum,
angraecum, and a vanda.
They spend all winter on shelves in front of patio door windows, and all
summer on my back porch.
My question is when is a good point to move them outside? I live in
Pittsburgh, PA, and nights here are now mostly in the 50's, occasionally in
the high 40's. I know of course that different species have different
requirements here. I've put the masdevalias out already but none of the
rest yet. What I've read would seem to suggest that the cymbidiums could
also probably go out now, maybe I should wait another week or two on the
phals, and hold back the vanda and agraecum awhile later. I will appreciate
any suggestions from the amazing collective experience that you all bring to
this newsgroup.
Thanks,
Chuck Berlin