Old 05-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Cass

Default Rebar and other wonders: For Cass, the perfect holder

In article rAqja.330495$F1.53936@sccrnsc04, Allegra
wrote:

"Cass" wrote, after Allegra pondered about this:

I've got some kind of garden contagion this year. ..

Okay: here are the two pix...

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...isease2003.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...DiseasePix.jpg

I'm sure you know I'm not much for spraying, but even if I were, I
wouldn't do it unless I knew what I was spraying for. Tom Liggett says
he's seen a lot of botrytis this year, and the estimable Paul Barden
told me that he thinks it looks like the botrytis he sees up his way.
Which makes perfect sense because it is eVerYwHeRe in this damn county.

I have to add my vote to that. ... The dead giveaway for me is the "burnt" blackened look of
the periphery of the dead tissue. BH sprayed with Mancozeb twice and
that got rid of the problem. He just told me he didn't work "real
hard" at it.

It is encouraging to know that something actually works without a
steady regime of spraying. That I simply won't do.

Here is a valuable address in case you don't already have it to check
cause and effect of using it in your area.

http://ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet/

Excellent . The trouble was, of course, the winter damn blooming roses.
Interestingly, I have no botrytis-spoiled blooms on many of the rose
showing specks of the cane disease.

Try it solely on one plant and see what happens. Of course methods
and amounts vary according to locale and infestation. But if you get
a clean rose with very little, that is the amount you need. Good
luck, don't let it spread, and just cutting the canes alone is not
going to do it, unfortunately.

Thanks, Allegra. It's a cool, still day after a rain. Chemical Cass may
unlock the cabinetta and pull out the big guns to run a beta test. I
don't really look forward to losing the spring flush. I bought this
stuff last fall because some very heavy blooming roses that have blooms
all the time did show those damn spots....