Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Gardens open in my town

On 11/5/08 09:29, in article net, "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

Our small town in North Wiltshire is having a festival this year, and
there is a "gardens open" day on 7-8 June. Lots of local people,
including me, are opening their gardens to the public, with the proceeds
going to a local charity. There will probably be about 20+ gardens
open. Our town of 8,000 souls has about nine pubs, if that's of any
interest.

My theme is things grown from seeds or cuttings: coffee, several
different citruses, sugar cane, Hedychium gardneriana, loquat,
Lagunaria, Eugenia uniflora, and others. Plus two (small) fish ponds
with a couple of frogs each.

I really do admire anyone who is brave enough to open their garden to the
public, good luck to all concerned :-)
kate

I think people are truly appreciative of the opportunity to see others'
gardens and to get new ideas. As part of the business, our garden is open
50 weeks of the year, seven days a week and inevitably, there are times when
the weeds are threatening to overtake one are or another area, because
everyone's too busy with nursery work. But we really cannot count the
number of times a year people tell us how much they enjoy wandering about in
it, seeing plants they don't know or hadn't thought of used in 'that way',
or just sitting read a book, or even snoozing! It gives inspiration for
one's own garden and introduces people to others and forms friendships
sometimes. The Yellow Book scheme is fantastic, I think and for the already
dedicated plantaholic, the plant stalls are a magnetic attraction. There's
always a chance of finding some coveted treasure. ;-) Some years ago, Ray
was asked to judge gardens entered into a local Gardens In Bloom competition
and I went along as his note-taker. The absolutely best and most
outstandingly beautiful, loved and imaginative garden was a tiny little one,
tucked away down a dead end lane in the town, rarely seen by anyone but its
owner. It absolutely knocked us out, though there was hardly space for 4 of
us to stand on the lawn together - it won hands down.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk