Old 10-05-2008, 01:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardens open in my town

Our small town in North Wiltshire is having a festival this year, and there
is a "gardens open" day on 7-8 June. Lots of local people, including me,
are opening their gardens to the public, with the proceeds going to a local
charity. There will probably be about 20+ gardens open. Our town of 8,000
souls has about nine pubs, if that's of any interest.

My theme is things grown from seeds or cuttings: coffee, several different
citruses, sugar cane, Hedychium gardneriana, loquat, Lagunaria, Eugenia
uniflora, and others. Plus two (small) fish ponds with a couple of frogs
each.

Email me if you live in the area and would like to visit.

someone

Old 10-05-2008, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"someone" wrote in message
Our small town in North Wiltshire is having a festival this year, and
there is a "gardens open" day on 7-8 June. Lots of local people,
including me, are opening their gardens to the public, with the proceeds
going to a local charity. There will probably be about 20+ gardens open.
Our town of 8,000 souls has about nine pubs, if that's of any interest.

My theme is things grown from seeds or cuttings: coffee, several
different citruses, sugar cane, Hedychium gardneriana, loquat, Lagunaria,
Eugenia uniflora, and others. Plus two (small) fish ponds with a couple
of frogs each.

Email me if you live in the area and would like to visit.

someone

Sorry we won't be in your area, but this is just to wish you a super day.

We have opened our gardens up under a similar scheme and it is fantastic.

I am not the gardener, 'her out doors' is and to see people enjoying her
'labour of love' is great.

Fingers crossed for a nice sunny day

Mike

Old 10-05-2008, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"someone" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks so much for your good wishes, Mike. I've been potting up and
cleaning up with my 'foreign' stuff, now I have to do the borders and put
some bigger plants in - all grown by me, I should say. :-)

It looks really messy at the moment, but I've got a few weeks yet.

Email me if you're ever up/down this way and want to have a look around.

Kind regards,

someone

Old 11-05-2008, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Our small town in North Wiltshire is having a festival this year, and
there is a "gardens open" day on 7-8 June. Lots of local people,
including me, are opening their gardens to the public, with the proceeds
going to a local charity. There will probably be about 20+ gardens
open. Our town of 8,000 souls has about nine pubs, if that's of any
interest.

My theme is things grown from seeds or cuttings: coffee, several
different citruses, sugar cane, Hedychium gardneriana, loquat,
Lagunaria, Eugenia uniflora, and others. Plus two (small) fish ponds
with a couple of frogs each.

I really do admire anyone who is brave enough to open their garden to the
public, good luck to all concerned :-)
kate

Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/5/08 09:29, in article net, "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

Our small town in North Wiltshire is having a festival this year, and
there is a "gardens open" day on 7-8 June. Lots of local people,
including me, are opening their gardens to the public, with the proceeds
going to a local charity. There will probably be about 20+ gardens
open. Our town of 8,000 souls has about nine pubs, if that's of any
interest.

My theme is things grown from seeds or cuttings: coffee, several
different citruses, sugar cane, Hedychium gardneriana, loquat,
Lagunaria, Eugenia uniflora, and others. Plus two (small) fish ponds
with a couple of frogs each.

I really do admire anyone who is brave enough to open their garden to the
public, good luck to all concerned :-)
kate

I think people are truly appreciative of the opportunity to see others'
gardens and to get new ideas. As part of the business, our garden is open
50 weeks of the year, seven days a week and inevitably, there are times when
the weeds are threatening to overtake one are or another area, because
everyone's too busy with nursery work. But we really cannot count the
number of times a year people tell us how much they enjoy wandering about in
it, seeing plants they don't know or hadn't thought of used in 'that way',
or just sitting read a book, or even snoozing! It gives inspiration for
one's own garden and introduces people to others and forms friendships
sometimes. The Yellow Book scheme is fantastic, I think and for the already
dedicated plantaholic, the plant stalls are a magnetic attraction. There's
always a chance of finding some coveted treasure. ;-) Some years ago, Ray
was asked to judge gardens entered into a local Gardens In Bloom competition
and I went along as his note-taker. The absolutely best and most
outstandingly beautiful, loved and imaginative garden was a tiny little one,
tucked away down a dead end lane in the town, rarely seen by anyone but its
owner. It absolutely knocked us out, though there was hardly space for 4 of
us to stand on the lawn together - it won hands down.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 11-05-2008, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

The absolutely best and most
outstandingly beautiful, loved and imaginative garden was a tiny little
one,
tucked away down a dead end lane in the town, rarely seen by anyone but
its
owner. It absolutely knocked us out, though there was hardly space for 4
of
us to stand on the lawn together - it won hands down.
--
Sacha

Big doesn't have to be beautiful. Our gardens have a 'Wow' Factor according
to one visitor when we opened, but it is only 120 feet x 20 feet :-))

Pictures at

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=KZMK73TA

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=C7WJKALZ

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=OQFDHPQP

Mike

Old 11-05-2008, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message

The absolutely best and most
outstandingly beautiful, loved and imaginative garden was a tiny little
one,
tucked away down a dead end lane in the town, rarely seen by anyone but
its
owner. It absolutely knocked us out, though there was hardly space for 4
of
us to stand on the lawn together - it won hands down.
--
Sacha

Big doesn't have to be beautiful. Our gardens have a 'Wow' Factor
according to one visitor when we opened, but it is only 120 feet x 20 feet
:-))

Pictures at... [checked it out, Mike, beautiful!]

Well, you've all given me some courage. It is a rather daunting event but
I'm hoping people will like my garden even if it isn't like most of the
others where I live. I'm not very good at neat and tidy, and anyway it's
less than a quarter of an acre.

My two small ponds now have about four frogs each, and even the Belfast sink
behind the shed has a resident frog. Plus lots of damselflies and newts.
My Cuban tobacco (grown from holiday seed) has put out its first flowers,
tiny little pink ones, not like our Nicotiana at all, but pretty
nevertheless. My Hedychium gardneriana from the Azores will, I hope, flower
for the opening, but I'm not sure. My vanilla orchid is sulking a bit so I
don't think it will flower.

The other thing is, do I need insurance for Health and Safety, because I
have lots of Agaves, small ones as well as a 6 foot one grown from a 1"
bulbil, plus Pujas which are very dangerous. Not to mention the ponds, and
other things. Should I put up a notice saying "Enter at your own risk - and
please don't bring any young children in here" or what?

Four weeks to go...

someone

Old 11-05-2008, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"someone" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message

[...]

Might be an idea to get in touch with the organisers and ask if they have
taken out an overall Health & Safety Insurance covering all the gardens open
OR, ask them to put a disclaimer in the literature they are giving out. We
didn't have extra insurance, other than the house insurance and as you are
not charging and entrance fee, your own household insurance might cover.

Best of luck.

(Bet you do it again)

Mike

Old 11-05-2008, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/5/08 22:46, in article ,
"someone" wrote:
snip The other thing is, do I need insurance for Health and Safety,
because I
have lots of Agaves, small ones as well as a 6 foot one grown from a 1"
bulbil, plus Pujas which are very dangerous. Not to mention the ponds, and
other things. Should I put up a notice saying "Enter at your own risk - and
please don't bring any young children in here" or what?

Four weeks to go...

Where are you growing Puyas and Agaves outdoors?! Or are they in pots? The
Abbey gardens in Tresco have both and I'm not aware of any notices anywhere.
It might be worth your peace of mind to take out a one day insurance but a
few notices saying "Do not touch the plants, some of them bite" should do it
in terms of a bit of commonsense. You could, perhaps, print of little
leaflets that give a brief history of these plants and *why* they 'bite'!

Old 12-05-2008, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The other thing is, do I need insurance for Health and Safety, because I
have lots of Agaves, small ones as well as a 6 foot one grown from a 1"
bulbil, plus Pujas which are very dangerous. Not to mention the ponds,
and other things. Should I put up a notice saying "Enter at your own
risk - and please don't bring any young children in here" or what?

Four weeks to go...

someone

I was thinking about this last night and I seem to remember being told about
the "Beware of the Dog" signs on gates. THAT is a warning and an admission
that you have a dangerous dog :-(

By you putting warning signs up, it shows that you KNOW some of your plants
are dangerous, but you are still opening up your garden!!!!

I think a warning put out by the organisers on the line of 'Please remember
that you are entering private gardens. Please respect the sights and sounds,
appreciate them and don't touch. You are entering these gardens at your own
risk and neither the organisers of this event nor the householders take any
form of responsibility'

Now if you intend to open every weekend and charge a fee .................
well, different matter.

Just my thoughts on it. Someone will no doubt shoot me down in flames.

Mike

Old 13-05-2008, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

[...]

Well, thanks for your helpful thoughts, Mike and Sacha. I'll contact the
guy in charge and try and find out what the policy is. We've had Gardens
Open in my town every four years, and other towns nearby do it as well, but
this is the first time I've done it.

someone

Old 13-05-2008, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 11/5/08 22:46, in article ,
"someone" wrote:
[...]

Good point about the Abbey Gardens. I've grown several Puyas from seed, and
the largest one (only about 2' high) spent the winter in a pot outside the
back door, the rest overwintered in the greenhouse. My agave is now very
elderly (grown from a tiny bulbil in 1976) and quite large, about 4' high x
4' wide. It lives in a pot, weighs about 80 lbs. and spends the winter
indoors in front of the French doors, providing a very effective burglar
deterrent. We have to borrow a trolley from the local pub to shift it
inside/outside twice a year. Some of its offspring, however, spend the
winter in pots near the pond with only a few blackened leaves, otherwise OK.

We spent a weekend in St. David's in Wales recently and visited an extremely
interesting nursery/garden centre near the middle of the town, full of
exotic plants. Unfortunately I didn't find out its name, even though I
bought a couple of plants there. But this man had a giant Puja growing in
the centre of his nursery, it was about 15 feet tall, and had a flower stalk
extending up to about 25 feet and about to flower. I will just have to go
back to St. David's and have another look.

someone

Old 13-05-2008, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/5/08 21:20, in article ,
"someone" wrote:

snip
Well, thanks for your helpful thoughts, Mike and Sacha. I'll contact the
guy in charge and try and find out what the policy is. We've had Gardens
Open in my town every four years, and other towns nearby do it as well, but
this is the first time I've done it.

someone

Ours are open, free, 50 weeks of the year. We do not allow dogs in and have
signs that say so and we also ask that parents keep their children under
control. We have a large public liability insurance but the very few small
accidents I've known to happen here (touching wood as I say this) have been
because people act stupidly or carelessly. We have only had to use that
insurance once and that was before my time here. It involved someone buying
rue who two years later developed an allergy to it. It was cheaper for the
insurance to pay her than to fight a case. We have a list of toxic plants
at the sales point and as more plants are toxic than are not, to some
degree, people would be better off giving up gardening if they're that
worried about it!
I suggest you put up a sign saying "No dogs admitted except guide dogs" and
if you have a dog that might object to people or dogs, keep it in the house
for that one short period. Signs saying "Please do not touch our plants" is
not unreasonable because, in fact, people do that all the time. Some of
ours are nearly threadbare by the end of their growing season! If people
touch yours and get hurt, that's their fault - the plants aren't going to
jump out at them, after all! I advise you to put up the signs but
experience tells me that the majority won't read them. However, you will
cover yourself to some large extent by such simple measures.

Old 13-05-2008, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/5/08 21:46, in article ,
"someone" wrote:
snip

[...]

I wonder if David Hill knows this nursery's name? As I suggested before,
the story of the Puya and its supposed methods of feeding itself could make
an interesting little story for you to hand out to people.