Old 11-05-2008, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Gardens open in my town

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message

The absolutely best and most
outstandingly beautiful, loved and imaginative garden was a tiny little
one,
tucked away down a dead end lane in the town, rarely seen by anyone but
its
owner. It absolutely knocked us out, though there was hardly space for 4
of
us to stand on the lawn together - it won hands down.
--
Sacha

Big doesn't have to be beautiful. Our gardens have a 'Wow' Factor
according to one visitor when we opened, but it is only 120 feet x 20 feet
:-))

Pictures at... [checked it out, Mike, beautiful!]

Well, you've all given me some courage. It is a rather daunting event but
I'm hoping people will like my garden even if it isn't like most of the
others where I live. I'm not very good at neat and tidy, and anyway it's
less than a quarter of an acre.

My two small ponds now have about four frogs each, and even the Belfast sink
behind the shed has a resident frog. Plus lots of damselflies and newts.
My Cuban tobacco (grown from holiday seed) has put out its first flowers,
tiny little pink ones, not like our Nicotiana at all, but pretty
nevertheless. My Hedychium gardneriana from the Azores will, I hope, flower
for the opening, but I'm not sure. My vanilla orchid is sulking a bit so I
don't think it will flower.

The other thing is, do I need insurance for Health and Safety, because I
have lots of Agaves, small ones as well as a 6 foot one grown from a 1"
bulbil, plus Pujas which are very dangerous. Not to mention the ponds, and
other things. Should I put up a notice saying "Enter at your own risk - and
please don't bring any young children in here" or what?

Four weeks to go...

someone