Old 05-04-2003, 05:08 PM
SugarChile

Default Pots without drainage holes

It's very tricky to grow things in pots without drainage holes. You can put
gravel and horticultural charcoal in the bottom of the pot, grow a
succulent or cactus that needs little water, and watering sparingly, but
it's hard to get it right. I would suggest finding a simple plastic pot
that fits inside of your old pot, so that you can use it just as a cover
pot. That way you can grow anything you want, and just lift the plastic pot
out to water it and let it drain.

Alternatively, you can try drilling a drainage hole in your old pot. Cover
the spot with masking tape, and go slowly. This is a risky proposition,
though, as the pot may chip and crack. I've done it successfully, but
wouldn't want to risk it on something irreplaceable.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"Joan" wrote in message
news:A610FC4428C788DE.1692E87F19F90EFF.9CA227FF49F ...
I found an old flower pot in the attic and it doesn't have drainage holes.
It is 9 inches in diameter. I'd like to put something in it, but need

advice
about what to plant, and how to provide drainage.