Old 12-05-2008, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Brown Turkey Fig question

In article ,
Compo in Caithness writes:
| I have inherited a Brown Turkey Fig. It has been pot grown and is
| currently about 1m tall. There is some top growth but a thin, bald
| stem beneath.
|
| 1. Can this plant be cut back in order to encourage a more bushy
| growth or do they naturally growe tall and thin?

Yes. As hard as you like - they are natural shrubs. I would advise
getting it established in the ground first, when it will respond to
being cut down by shooting from the base, as they may need a well
established root system to reshoot from.

| 2. I want to transplant it into a large polytunnel. Should they be
| fan trained or are they best grown as a bush/tree in their natural
| shape?

Whatever :-) But they fruit on the previous year's growth.

| 3. Will their roots take over the entire tunnel if not contained?

They may well. Containing them may help with fruiting, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.