Old 12-05-2008, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Brown Turkey Fig question

I have inherited a Brown Turkey Fig. It has been pot grown and is
currently about 1m tall. There is some top growth but a thin, bald
stem beneath.

1. Can this plant be cut back in order to encourage a more bushy
growth or do they naturally growe tall and thin?

2. I want to transplant it into a large polytunnel. Should they be
fan trained or are they best grown as a bush/tree in their natural
shape?

3. Will their roots take over the entire tunnel if not contained?

Any help appreciated,

Compo.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Compo in Caithness writes:
| I have inherited a Brown Turkey Fig. It has been pot grown and is
| currently about 1m tall. There is some top growth but a thin, bald
| stem beneath.
|
| 1. Can this plant be cut back in order to encourage a more bushy
| growth or do they naturally growe tall and thin?

Yes. As hard as you like - they are natural shrubs. I would advise
getting it established in the ground first, when it will respond to
being cut down by shooting from the base, as they may need a well
established root system to reshoot from.

| 2. I want to transplant it into a large polytunnel. Should they be
| fan trained or are they best grown as a bush/tree in their natural
| shape?

Whatever :-) But they fruit on the previous year's growth.

| 3. Will their roots take over the entire tunnel if not contained?

They may well. Containing them may help with fruiting, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article
,
Compo in Caithness writes:
| I have inherited a Brown Turkey Fig. It has been pot grown and is
| currently about 1m tall. There is some top growth but a thin, bald
| stem beneath.
|
| 1. Can this plant be cut back in order to encourage a more bushy
| growth or do they naturally growe tall and thin?

Yes. As hard as you like - they are natural shrubs. I would advise
getting it established in the ground first, when it will respond to
being cut down by shooting from the base, as they may need a well
established root system to reshoot from.

| 2. I want to transplant it into a large polytunnel. Should they be
| fan trained or are they best grown as a bush/tree in their natural
| shape?

Whatever :-) But they fruit on the previous year's growth.

| 3. Will their roots take over the entire tunnel if not contained?

They may well. Containing them may help with fruiting, too.

Yes, indeed you must contain the roots to ensure it doesn't produce just
leaves

Old 12-05-2008, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 May 2008 01:05:14 -0700 (PDT), Compo in Caithness
wrote:

I have inherited a Brown Turkey Fig. It has been pot grown and is
currently about 1m tall. There is some top growth but a thin, bald
stem beneath.

1. Can this plant be cut back in order to encourage a more bushy
growth or do they naturally growe tall and thin?

2. I want to transplant it into a large polytunnel. Should they be
fan trained or are they best grown as a bush/tree in their natural
shape?

3. Will their roots take over the entire tunnel if not contained?

Any help appreciated,

Compo.

There was a question about growing figs on GQT on Sunday 11th May.
You could "Listen Again" on the Radio 4 GQT website.
The team says that they need to have their roots contained. This
stops them growing too big, and also makes them fruit better.
Suggestions are;
1 A pit 2 ft cubed, lined with pavig slabs on sides only.
2 An old washing machine drum.

Pam in Bristol