Old 12-05-2008, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkopf General Schvantzkopf is offline

Default Are my tomatoes dead?

On Mon, 12 May 2008 13:34:10 +0100, CringleB wrote:

Hi
I have had a major tomato crisis and would welcome any advice. I put my
seedlings in a plastic greenhouse and had been putting them outside for
a few hours a day.
Unfortunately there was a very hot spell and by the time I had got to
them they had seriously wilted. I opened the greenhouse, moved them into
the shade and gave them a good drink of water. Now a lot of them have
crispy brown leaves and are looking somewhat dead.
Are they beyond salvation.
I would welcome any advice.
Many thanks
Chris

They sound dead, fortunately tomato plants are cheap. I tried to raise
tomatoes from seed last year because I wanted to grow some heirloom
varieties. They all keeled over and died before I could transplant them
so I went back to the old reliable garden center plants.