Old 12-05-2008, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Are my tomatoes dead?

On Mon, 12 May 2008 13:34:10 +0100, CringleB wrote:

Hi
I have had a major tomato crisis and would welcome any advice. I put my
seedlings in a plastic greenhouse and had been putting them outside for
a few hours a day.
Unfortunately there was a very hot spell and by the time I had got to
them they had seriously wilted. I opened the greenhouse, moved them into
the shade and gave them a good drink of water. Now a lot of them have
crispy brown leaves and are looking somewhat dead.
Are they beyond salvation.
I would welcome any advice.
Many thanks
Chris

They sound dead, fortunately tomato plants are cheap. I tried to raise
tomatoes from seed last year because I wanted to grow some heirloom
varieties. They all keeled over and died before I could transplant them
so I went back to the old reliable garden center plants.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Hi
I have had a major tomato crisis and would welcome any advice.
I put my seedlings in a plastic greenhouse and had been putting them
outside for a few hours a day.
Unfortunately there was a very hot spell and by the time I had got to
them they had seriously wilted. I opened the greenhouse, moved them
into the shade and gave them a good drink of water.
Now a lot of them have crispy brown leaves and are looking somewhat
dead.
Are they beyond salvation.
I would welcome any advice.
Many thanks
Chris

I would keep them for a few days and see what happens. If all of the
leaves are dead, forget it.

On clear day my greenhouse can go from 60°F to 80°F from sunrise to 2
hours later. plants survive in the greenhouse when the temperature
get to 100°F. I try not to let them stay in that temperature too
long. On the other hand, our outdoor temperatures can get to 100°F
and the tomatoes do just fine. They may not set fruit, but they
certainly don't die.
--
Susan N.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

phorbin wrote in
:

*snip*

When is dead, not dead?

*snip*

When they're tomatoes. We had some that got killed off by a frost, and
replaced them. A couple weeks later, we've got plants coming back up from
the roots of the dead ones.

While it's not a bad idea to replace your plants now, hang on to the others
for a while more yet and see if they do anything.

Puckdropper

Old 12-05-2008, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
CringleB wrote:

Hi
I have had a major tomato crisis and would welcome any advice.
I put my seedlings in a plastic greenhouse and had been putting them
outside for a few hours a day.
Unfortunately there was a very hot spell and by the time I had got to
them they had seriously wilted. I opened the greenhouse, moved them
into the shade and gave them a good drink of water.
Now a lot of them have crispy brown leaves and are looking somewhat
dead.
Are they beyond salvation.
I would welcome any advice.
Many thanks
Chris

Give then 24 hrs. If there is no sign of recovery, you're probably
screwed. This is a learning situation. We've all done it)
I'd suggest replacement from the nursery but I would also start more
seeds. If nothing else, it is good practice.
--

Billy
Old 13-05-2008, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"CringleB" wrote in message

Hi
I have had a major tomato crisis and would welcome any advice.
I put my seedlings in a plastic greenhouse and had been putting them
outside for a few hours a day.
Unfortunately there was a very hot spell and by the time I had got to
them they had seriously wilted. I opened the greenhouse, moved them
into the shade and gave them a good drink of water.
Now a lot of them have crispy brown leaves and are looking somewhat
dead.

I think they were cooked. They were baked to death.

Are they beyond salvation.
I would welcome any advice.
Many thanks
Chris