Old 13-05-2008, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Gardens open in my town

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 11/5/08 22:46, in article ,
"someone" wrote:
snip The other thing is, do I need insurance for Health and Safety,
because I
have lots of Agaves, small ones as well as a 6 foot one grown from a 1"
bulbil, plus Pujas which are very dangerous. Not to mention the ponds,
and
other things. Should I put up a notice saying "Enter at your own risk -
and
please don't bring any young children in here" or what?

Four weeks to go...

Where are you growing Puyas and Agaves outdoors?! Or are they in pots?
The
Abbey gardens in Tresco have both and I'm not aware of any notices
anywhere.
It might be worth your peace of mind to take out a one day insurance but a
few notices saying "Do not touch the plants, some of them bite" should do
it
in terms of a bit of commonsense. You could, perhaps, print of little
leaflets that give a brief history of these plants and *why* they 'bite'!
--

Good point about the Abbey Gardens. I've grown several Puyas from seed, and
the largest one (only about 2' high) spent the winter in a pot outside the

We spent a weekend in St. David's in Wales recently and visited an extremely
interesting nursery/garden centre near the middle of the town, full of
exotic plants. Unfortunately I didn't find out its name, even though I
bought a couple of plants there. But this man had a giant Puja growing in
the centre of his nursery, it was about 15 feet tall, and had a flower stalk
extending up to about 25 feet and about to flower. I will just have to go
back to St. David's and have another look.

someone