Old 14-05-2008, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Killing Horsetail - glyphosate and wallpaper paste

In article ,
says...
Alan McKenzie wrote:

"Paul S" wrote in message
et...
I've read the numerous posts about mixing Glyphosate and wallpaper paste
to form a gel to apply to horsetail, but have some questions;

1. What proportions of each should be used ?

2. Is it true that it's best to apply weedkiller sprays at the start of
the day rather than at night, and why ?

3. What suggestions do you have for bruising the horsetail e.g. I have a
besom broom; would hitting the horsetail with it have any effect ?

Hi, my trick for horse/mares tail is to apply a gel weedkiller, sorry can't
remember the name of the one i use, has a brush included.
I take a plastic coin bag that you get from banks, brush the gel liberally
inside the plastic bag. Then place the horsetail in the bag, wrap around a
few times and then place a stone or earth sod to keep everything in place -
after a few weeks it will be dead.
Hope this helps.

Alan

Lol Alan. I have about a thousand horsetail plants.

dilute the glysophate as per instructions, then add wall paper paste
powder to the mix until stiff enough.
Damaging horse tail by giving a light whiz over with a strimmer then
apply glysophate also said to work better than applying it straight. I
had some success on ivy with mixing it with old sump oil but decided the
cure was worse than the problem!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk