Old 13-05-2008, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Killing Horsetail - glyphosate and wallpaper paste

I've read the numerous posts about mixing Glyphosate and wallpaper paste
to form a gel to apply to horsetail, but have some questions;

1. What proportions of each should be used ?

2. Is it true that it's best to apply weedkiller sprays at the start of
the day rather than at night, and why ?

3. What suggestions do you have for bruising the horsetail e.g. I have a
besom broom; would hitting the horsetail with it have any effect ?

Old 14-05-2008, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul S" wrote in message
et...
I've read the numerous posts about mixing Glyphosate and wallpaper paste
to form a gel to apply to horsetail, but have some questions;

1. What proportions of each should be used ?

2. Is it true that it's best to apply weedkiller sprays at the start of
the day rather than at night, and why ?

3. What suggestions do you have for bruising the horsetail e.g. I have a
besom broom; would hitting the horsetail with it have any effect ?

Hi, my trick for horse/mares tail is to apply a gel weedkiller, sorry can't
remember the name of the one i use, has a brush included.
I take a plastic coin bag that you get from banks, brush the gel liberally
inside the plastic bag. Then place the horsetail in the bag, wrap around a
few times and then place a stone or earth sod to keep everything in place -
after a few weeks it will be dead.
Hope this helps.

Alan

Old 14-05-2008, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan McKenzie wrote:
"Paul S" wrote in message
et...
[...]

Wallpaper paste (aka CMC) isn't the only thickener. The manufactured
glyphosphate gels may be based on mineral or vegetable thickeners,
depending on compatability with the active ingredient. There is also the
danger with a d-i-y gel that what keeps the solution on the surface for
easy application may also prevent it being absorbed by the plant.

I imagine Monsanto have thought about this :-)
Old 14-05-2008, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan McKenzie wrote:

"Paul S" wrote in message
et...
[...]

Lol Alan. I have about a thousand horsetail plants.

Old 14-05-2008, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...
Alan McKenzie wrote:

"Paul S" wrote in message
et...
[...]

dilute the glysophate as per instructions, then add wall paper paste
powder to the mix until stiff enough.
Damaging horse tail by giving a light whiz over with a strimmer then
apply glysophate also said to work better than applying it straight. I
had some success on ivy with mixing it with old sump oil but decided the
cure was worse than the problem!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 14-05-2008, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Paul S wrote:

Alan McKenzie wrote:

"Paul S" wrote in message
et...
[...]

Seriously though, I will try your suggestion on some isolated plants.
Thanks.

Keep the suggestions coming. Some of the plants are a foot high btw.