Old 14-05-2008, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
tbell tbell is offline

Default Orchid Greenhouse

On Tue, 13 May 2008 21:27:31 -0700, Uncle_vito wrote
(in article ) :

I am considering building a greenhouse for my orchids. It is the humidity
that I want/need. Living in Southern California, low temperatures are not
much of a problem.

Also, seems like most orchid growers in the area (Normans, SBOE) use shade
cloth or opal translucent polycarbonate panels overhead.

I am looking for a greenhouse kit with these opal translucent polycarbonate
panels for the roof. All that I can find seem to use clear panels.

What are you folks using? Clear glass/polycarbonate with shadecloth or opal
panels?

Up here we have both extreme heat (2-3 weeks or so 100š in Summer) and some
cold (2-3 weeks or so of frost with 20s and 30s in Winter).
I built a Charley's Greenhouse Solar Gro kit with polycarbonate twin wall, a
gravel floor, an under bench misting system, and an exhaust fan. I also use a
metallic shade screen during the Summer.
This has kept my orchids alive without a cooler except when a power failure
and surge triggered the GFCI while I was away for a weekend.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200