Old 14-05-2008, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Rampant weed?

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"PK" writes:

| That is a good consise sensible link. Those two methods do work but
| you have to be patient and persistent. If you go organic, you have to
| be willing to keep digging it out for years. You will get it but it
| will take time.

Not in my experience. Provided that you can GET at the stuff, and
dig 1' down for at least one spring to the next spring, it isn't a
major problem - unlike lesser bindweed. I have never seen it regrow
from a root more than 6" down, let alone 1', and the latter I have
had regrow from 2' down and survive half a dozen goes of glyphosate :-(

It must be very dependent on the soil then. In my heavy clay soil I can
afford to let the lesser field bindweed with pink flowers grow as an
ornamental. It never causes trouble unlike its vigorous white climbinfg
cousin.

Yes, you have to dig as much out as you can, dig out the little
bits as they show during the growing season, and repeat it all next
spring. But that's more-or-less it.

In clay soil groundelder is considerably more of a pest.

Where I can't get rid of it is where it is under other plants, so
I can't do that. And it spreads laterally FAST and, as you say,
from tiny fragments - whereas lesser bindweed does neither.

Spot weeding with glyphosate and/or strimming will get it. You cannot
afford to let it have any leaves in sunshine or it will grow sideways
*very* quickly. Zap each leaf as it appears.

Regards,
Martin Brown