Old 14-05-2008, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rampant weed?

Anyone know what this is?

http://www.encompasserve.org/~burley/dsc00091.jpg

It's rampant. I thought I'd dug it out the year before last, but
a single plant appeared last year, this year it's covered a plot
of about 8 x 4 ft.
Old 14-05-2008, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Graham Burley" wrote in message
Anyone know what this is?

http://www.encompasserve.org/~burley/dsc00091.jpg

It's rampant. I thought I'd dug it out the year before last, but
a single plant appeared last year, this year it's covered a plot
of about 8 x 4 ft.

No. I have several rampant weeds, I don't care what they're called, it
doesn't make the getting rid any easier :-)

Mary

Old 14-05-2008, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 14, 6:24*pm, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 14 May 2008 18:08:34 +0100, Graham Burley

How to get rid of ithttp://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/problem-solving/ground-elder/
--

That is a good consise sensible link. Those two methods do work but
you have to be patient and persistent. If you go organic, you have to

Martin

Old 14-05-2008, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Anyone know what this is?

http://www.encompasserve.org/~burley/dsc00091.jpg

It's rampant. I thought I'd dug it out the year before last, but
a single plant appeared last year, this year it's covered a plot
of about 8 x 4 ft.

How to get rid of
ithttp://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/problem-solving/ground-elder/
--

That is a good consise sensible link. Those two methods do work but
you have to be patient and persistent. If you go organic, you have to
be willing to keep digging it out for years. You will get it but it
will take time. Glyphosphate/roundup does work but here you have to
persist. Do it 2 or 3 times at 2 or 3 week intervals. Then you just
need to get the stragglers next year and the year after.

Martin

My patent technique is a variation on:

Chemical
Apply systemic weed killer to the foliage as soon as it appears in spring.
Re-apply throughout the growing season at four- to six-week intervals, or as
soon as any re-growth appears

week 1 glyphosate

week 2 weedol to burn off top growth

week 3 glyphosate on new growth

week 4 weedol

continue till the bugger gives up!

pk

Old 14-05-2008, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/5/08 18:45, in article
, "Des

wrote:
Anyone know what this is?

http://www.encompasserve.org/~burley/dsc00091.jpg

It's rampant. I thought I'd dug it out the year before last, but
a single plant appeared last year, this year it's covered a plot
of about 8 x 4 ft.

How to get rid of
ithttp://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/problem-solving/ground-elder/
--

That is a good consise sensible link. Those two methods do work but
you have to be patient and persistent. If you go organic, you have to
be willing to keep digging it out for years. You will get it but it
will take time. Glyphosphate/roundup does work but here you have to
persist. Do it 2 or 3 times at 2 or 3 week intervals. Then you just
need to get the stragglers next year and the year after.

Why, oh why don't slugs like ground elder?!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-05-2008, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Anyone know what this is?
http://www.encompasserve.org/~burley/dsc00091.jpg
It's rampant. I thought I'd dug it out the year before last, but
a single plant appeared last year, this year it's covered a plot
of about 8 x 4 ft.

It will regrow from pieces of root as small as 1cm in length. If you
have trashed it with systemic chemical weapons like glyphosate first you
decrease the chances of regrowth somewhat but it is a war of attrition.

How to get rid of ithttp://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/problem-solving/ground-elder/

That is a good consise sensible link. Those two methods do work but
you have to be patient and persistent. If you go organic, you have to
be willing to keep digging it out for years. You will get it but it
will take time.

Strimming it or close crop mowing every week for a year will work. Miss
a week and you lose. But a combination of physical and chemical attack
works faster.

Glyphosphate/roundup does work but here you have to
persist. Do it 2 or 3 times at 2 or 3 week intervals. Then you just
need to get the stragglers next year and the year after.

Unless you have an adjacent field full of the stuff. Hit it with
something (preferably different) every couple of weeks for a year and it
will mostly give up the ghost. Remember every leaf in sunshine is
storing energy in the roots so you never want it to have decent leaves.

If you try digging it out "organically" sieve the soil for every last
trace of root. I would hit it with weedkiller as well. YMMV

Some of mine was in the edges of lawn and broadleaf specific weedkillers
work reasonably well on it too.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 14-05-2008, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"PK" writes:

| That is a good consise sensible link. Those two methods do work but
| you have to be patient and persistent. If you go organic, you have to
| be willing to keep digging it out for years. You will get it but it
| will take time.

Not in my experience. Provided that you can GET at the stuff, and
dig 1' down for at least one spring to the next spring, it isn't a
major problem - unlike lesser bindweed. I have never seen it regrow
from a root more than 6" down, let alone 1', and the latter I have
had regrow from 2' down and survive half a dozen goes of glyphosate :-(

Yes, you have to dig as much out as you can, dig out the little
bits as they show during the growing season, and repeat it all next
spring. But that's more-or-less it.

Where I can't get rid of it is where it is under other plants, so
I can't do that. And it spreads laterally FAST and, as you say,
from tiny fragments - whereas lesser bindweed does neither.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-05-2008, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"PK" writes:

| That is a good consise sensible link. Those two methods do work but
| you have to be patient and persistent. If you go organic, you have to
| be willing to keep digging it out for years. You will get it but it
| will take time.

Not in my experience. Provided that you can GET at the stuff, and
dig 1' down for at least one spring to the next spring, it isn't a
major problem - unlike lesser bindweed. I have never seen it regrow
from a root more than 6" down, let alone 1', and the latter I have
had regrow from 2' down and survive half a dozen goes of glyphosate :-(

It must be very dependent on the soil then. In my heavy clay soil I can
afford to let the lesser field bindweed with pink flowers grow as an
ornamental. It never causes trouble unlike its vigorous white climbinfg
cousin.

Yes, you have to dig as much out as you can, dig out the little
bits as they show during the growing season, and repeat it all next
spring. But that's more-or-less it.

In clay soil groundelder is considerably more of a pest.

Where I can't get rid of it is where it is under other plants, so
I can't do that. And it spreads laterally FAST and, as you say,
from tiny fragments - whereas lesser bindweed does neither.

Spot weeding with glyphosate and/or strimming will get it. You cannot
afford to let it have any leaves in sunshine or it will grow sideways
*very* quickly. Zap each leaf as it appears.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 14-05-2008, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown writes:

| It must be very dependent on the soil then. In my heavy clay soil I can
| afford to let the lesser field bindweed with pink flowers grow as an
| ornamental. It never causes trouble unlike its vigorous white climbinfg
| cousin.

That is almost certainly so. My soil doesn't waterlog, even 2' down.

| Yes, you have to dig as much out as you can, dig out the little
| bits as they show during the growing season, and repeat it all next
| spring. But that's more-or-less it.
|
| In clay soil groundelder is considerably more of a pest.

Because you can't get its roots out semi-intact when digging? That
would make a lot of sense. I can't dig it out cleanly in wet soil.

I should have specified my conditions :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

rampant bluebells chaz United Kingdom 6 30-04-2004 12:05 PM
How to get rid of rampant mint? hkw United Kingdom 11 23-04-2004 10:36 AM
how to stop rampant bamboo growth Joe C (free agent acct) Bamboo 8 23-04-2004 02:06 AM
Rampant Strawberries Wilson Lamb North Carolina 5 18-05-2003 01:08 AM
Help Identify a Rampant Mystery Vine? John McGaw Gardening 9 03-04-2003 08:20 PM