Old 14-05-2008, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Rampant weed?

In article ,
Martin Brown writes:

| It must be very dependent on the soil then. In my heavy clay soil I can
| afford to let the lesser field bindweed with pink flowers grow as an
| ornamental. It never causes trouble unlike its vigorous white climbinfg
| cousin.

That is almost certainly so. My soil doesn't waterlog, even 2' down.

| Yes, you have to dig as much out as you can, dig out the little
| bits as they show during the growing season, and repeat it all next
| spring. But that's more-or-less it.
|
| In clay soil groundelder is considerably more of a pest.

Because you can't get its roots out semi-intact when digging? That
would make a lot of sense. I can't dig it out cleanly in wet soil.

I should have specified my conditions :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.