Old 15-05-2008, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Not quite OT, I hope, cast iron garden furniture question

On May 15, 4:52*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message

On Thu, 15 May 2008 05:42:39 -0700 (PDT), "Cat(h)"
wrote:

Thanks Derek (and Sacha and Mike) for some good suggestions and tips.
I'll have lovely spray plastikoted glossy black wee tables (probably
cast alu) by the end of the week end :-)

Cast alu needs a different primer.
--

Martin

Isn't a paint covering already on there? Only need primer if going back to
bare metal. (Yellow Chromate from memory)

'IF' the table has been sand blasted back to bare metal, then the sand
blaster will know to prime it PDQ before it oxidises in the air :-((

Mike

Yes, they are painted, and I can confirm that they are cast alu (shop
confirmed).
The paint covering is an annoyingly chalky white which rubs off a
powdery residue, and I plan to recolour it in glossy black. So, by
the looks of things, no need to prime. I therefore plan to sand
lightly to give key, wipe down with a damp cloth, let dry, then
Plastikote or Hammerite (as per whatever brand is available at local
hardware store) with a glossy black spray metal pain, maybe give it a
few coats, then let it dry, and then put a large glass of chilled
Petit Chablis on one of them, and my feet on the other, to
congratulate myself on a job well done :-)

Cat(h)