Old 15-05-2008, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\)[_170_] Robert \(Plymouth\)[_170_] is offline

Default Crop Rotation.. Confused!

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
I have just taken over an allotment and am in the process of clearing all
(well most?) of the nasty weeds etc by the end of the summer. I plan to
divide the allotment into 6 parts. One part is for permanent crops like
fruit and the remaining five would rotate in the following order:

Legumes, followed by
Brassicas, followed by
Fallow, followed by
Potatoes, followed by
Onions/Roots

I have read a number of articles on google and they all seem to offer
different rotations. For example some suggest following Brassicas by
Legumes; others suggest the reverse.

Does the plan, that I outlined above , seem OK? Or is it flawed.?

(The fallow bed is to allow me a chance to do deep deep cleaning of weeds
and will also provide a space for me to bed out some plants like
Wallflowers that I grow from seed before I transfer then to their final
positions in the autumn in the flower garden at home.)

Ed

Speaking personally, I find it very difficult to stick to a strict rotation
but I always ensure that the cabbage family has a good break before planting
in the same ground. This helps reduce club root problems. On that subject
you should be careful not to encourage club root by following your cabbages
with wallflowers as they too suffer from club root.

I would have thought brassicas follow legumes to make use of the nitrogen
fixed in the soil by the bean/pea roots

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com