Old 15-05-2008, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,free.uk.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

Default Crop Rotation.. Confused!

I have just taken over an allotment and am in the process of clearing
all (well most?) of the nasty weeds etc by the end of the summer. I
plan to divide the allotment into 6 parts. One part is for permanent
crops like fruit and the remaining five would rotate in the following order:

Legumes, followed by
Brassicas, followed by
Fallow, followed by
Potatoes, followed by
Onions/Roots

I have read a number of articles on google and they all seem to offer
different rotations. For example some suggest following Brassicas by
Legumes; others suggest the reverse.

Does the plan, that I outlined above , seem OK? Or is it flawed.?

(The fallow bed is to allow me a chance to do deep deep cleaning of
weeds and will also provide a space for me to bed out some plants like
Wallflowers that I grow from seed before I transfer then to their final
positions in the autumn in the flower garden at home.)

Ed

Old 15-05-2008, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
[...]

Speaking personally, I find it very difficult to stick to a strict rotation
but I always ensure that the cabbage family has a good break before planting
in the same ground. This helps reduce club root problems. On that subject
you should be careful not to encourage club root by following your cabbages
with wallflowers as they too suffer from club root.

I would have thought brassicas follow legumes to make use of the nitrogen
fixed in the soil by the bean/pea roots

--
Rowdens Reservoir Allotments Association
www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 15-05-2008, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ed" wrote
[...]

We use a 4 year rotation ...

1. Good layer of rotted manure dug in, then Potatoes
2. Lime rotovated in, then Brassicas
3. Legumes
4. Onions etc. and roots (chicken manure pellets used)

Works for us.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-05-2008, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Ed" wrote
[...]

Mine for the offering

Double dig and compost/manure, Potatoes, overwinter with leeks.
Onions, over wintered with green manure dug in about February.
Brassicas, followed by winter brassicas.
Beans, some broad, some dwarf, lots of runner.
Carrots, beetroot and the other odds and sods.

This was decided because the soil had been abused by the previous occupants
of the house as a football pitch, but it was a market garden before that, it
is sandy loam.

It isn't an allotment, just a respectable size back garden, and we are in
Wallasey at the north end of the Wirral Peninsular, less than half a mile
from the sea. We don't get as cold as some places only a few miles away,
which is why we can dig in February generally.

The main thing is to change the pests around, and encourage your friends,
not your enemies! The RHS vegetable book has some good advice.

Good luck

John

Old 16-12-2012, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,free.uk.gardening
ian ian is offline

Best way to remember this is Wombles : underground, overground, then
wombling free / fallow -

Old 16-12-2012, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,free.uk.gardening

"ian" wrote in
:

[...]

Best thing to remember is not to top post.

Baz
Old 16-12-2012, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,free.uk.gardening

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 18:24:36 GMT, Baz wrote:

"ian" wrote in
:

[...]

Well done Baz.
I'm sure he will find that very helpful.
Old 16-12-2012, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/12/2012 13:45, ian wrote:
[...]

I suspect that wallflowers ought to go with other brassicas.

Growing and harvesting a crop of potatoes is a good way of getting rid
of weeds. I sneak in leeks ( from seedlings grown elsewhere) after the
early potatoes are harvested.

Paul
Old 16-12-2012, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul Luton" wrote

ian wrote:
[...]

That is OK if you have space for a 5 year rotation, most don't and use a 4
year rotation.
In my case I use...
Potatoes (after manure)
Brassicas
Legumes and root crops
Onions etc.
Others change the Brassicas and Legumes around.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 17-12-2012, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,england.rec.gardening,free.uk.gardening

Fuschia wrote in
:

Best thing to remember is not to top post.

Well done Baz.
I'm sure he will find that very helpful.

Yes, Fuschia, he will find it VERY helpful in this group. It is very
annoying when reading a thread and a top poster ruins the continuation.
Just about every regular contributer to this group bottom posts and snips.

Baz

Will an Andean spudfield rotation crop replace potato nematicides? briancady413 Permaculture 0 14-08-2003 06:09 AM
Crop rotation advice please John Towill United Kingdom 1 11-05-2003 04:46 PM
crop rotation Jane VR Permaculture 2 05-05-2003 01:08 PM
Crop Rotation McGrew Brothers Farm sci.agriculture 3 26-04-2003 12:20 PM
crop rotation Jane VR Permaculture 2 03-04-2003 12:56 AM