Old 16-05-2008, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Orchid Greenhouse

Measure twice, cut once. God is in the details. Hitchcock said filming a
movie was superfluous since he'd already 'seen' the movie whilst planning
it.

"Uncle_vito" wrote in message
Thanks for all the great comments. Seems I have lots of work to do.

Vito

"Wendy7" wrote in message
I forgot to mention Uncle Vito, your initial query on humidity. If I
had to do it again, & no existing concrete
slab, I would put heavy duty plastic weed liner down (it breathes) then
crushed brick. Building suppliers actually
sell it & I heard it holds moisture like crazy & therefore more humidity.
Cheers Wendy

"Uncle_vito" wrote in message
I am considering building a greenhouse for my orchids. It is the
humidity that I want/need. Living in Southern California, low
temperatures are not much of a problem.

Also, seems like most orchid growers in the area (Normans, SBOE) use
shade cloth or opal translucent polycarbonate panels overhead.

I am looking for a greenhouse kit with these opal translucent
polycarbonate panels for the roof. All that I can find seem to use
clear panels.

What are you folks using? Clear glass/polycarbonate with shadecloth or
opal panels?

Also seems that clear glass would make the GH hotter than heck, even
with the use of shadecloth.

Thanks for any advice.

Vito