Old 19-05-2008, 12:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Lawn in shady area...

On May 18, 11:07*am, "Chris" wrote:
Are there any quick tips for maintaining grass in an *almost* fully shaded area? *Any special fertilizers, or anything like that? *I seed the area and it's O.K. (not great), for most of the season, but almost bare by the time next March/April rolls around (Northeast part of the US). There must be something I can do, short of cutting down all the trees, right?

--
Chris *-http://entelis.blogspot.com
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Use a good seed mixture labeled for dense shade. Seed it in the
Spring, when there will be no leaves so it can get established. Mow
it high. Keep leaves off it in the Fall by removing them
frequently. But, even doing all that, if it's in an area like the
north side of a house with trees, it may be impossible to maintain a
decent lawn. For those locations, a shade type ground cover or
similar may be the best solution.