Old 18-05-2008, 04:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Lawn in shady area...

Are there any quick tips for maintaining grass in an *almost* fully shaded area? Any special fertilizers, or anything like that? I seed the area and it's O.K. (not great), for most of the season, but almost bare by the time next March/April rolls around (Northeast part of the US). There must be something I can do, short of cutting down all the trees, right?

--
Chris - http://entelis.blogspot.com
Old 19-05-2008, 12:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 18, 11:07*am, "Chris" wrote:
Are there any quick tips for maintaining grass in an *almost* fully shaded area? *Any special fertilizers, or anything like that? *I seed the area and it's O.K. (not great), for most of the season, but almost bare by the time next March/April rolls around (Northeast part of the US). There must be something I can do, short of cutting down all the trees, right?

--
Chris *-http://entelis.blogspot.com
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Use a good seed mixture labeled for dense shade. Seed it in the
Spring, when there will be no leaves so it can get established. Mow
it high. Keep leaves off it in the Fall by removing them
frequently. But, even doing all that, if it's in an area like the
north side of a house with trees, it may be impossible to maintain a
decent lawn. For those locations, a shade type ground cover or
similar may be the best solution.
Old 20-05-2008, 01:53 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steve said:

wrote:
On May 18, 11:07=A0am, "Chris" wrote:
Are there any quick tips for maintaining grass in an *almost* fully
shaded=

area? =A0Any special fertilizers, or anything like that? =A0I seed the

Chris =A0-http://entelis.blogspot.com
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Use a good seed mixture labeled for dense shade. Seed it in the
Spring, when there will be no leaves so it can get established. Mow
it high. Keep leaves off it in the Fall by removing them
frequently. But, even doing all that, if it's in an area like the
north side of a house with trees, it may be impossible to maintain a
decent lawn. For those locations, a shade type ground cover or
similar may be the best solution.

To that good advice I will add, fine fescue is the most shade tolerant cool
season turfgrass. If that doesn't grow for you there then it's time to look
at ground covers, as Trader suggested.

My front lawn is *mostly* fine fescue. Man what a nice grass. =) Alas...
the 80 y/o Silver Maple in front will be coming down, soon. I expect a
muddy mess to follow, shortly after. *sigh* Not sure what I'll do.
There's still a Sycamore dappling light in mid-morning. But, fine fescue is
out, I'm sure. =/
--

Eggs

If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?
Old 20-05-2008, 10:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
Steve said:

wrote:
[...]

Do you have a fireplace to make use of the maple? Man I hate to lose a
tree.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/

Old 21-05-2008, 10:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steve said:

wrote:
Steve said:

wrote:
[...]

Nope. OTOH I don't have to pay to have it removed. I got enough shit goin
on right now to have to mess with tree/stump removal and prepping the area
for sod. The city's gotta go about seven or eight feet from the tree to put
in a 24" stormwater pipe. They're gonna sever too many big roots to do so,
and I had them put in the easement deed that if it's damaged beyond repair,
they take it down. Besides, power lines are running right through it. It
needs to go anyway.

It's an awesome tree ('cept for the samaras, HEH). And, it's removal will
wreak havoc with a hosta/fern bed against the house. I've already prepped
two other beds, much larger, where they can be transplanted. =)

I'll plant something a bit more appropriate, once the construction mess is
done. Maybe a nice flowering crab, or a whitebud or something. *shrug*

--

Eggs

-A conscience is what hurts when all of your other parts feel so good.

Lawn advice ... suggestions for a lawn alternative for shady damp area Small Red Robin United Kingdom 7 16-05-2006 05:27 PM
Vine for Shady Area Jim Marrs Texas 1 17-02-2004 12:40 AM
veg. in shady area miklol United Kingdom 3 08-06-2003 11:08 PM
Suggestions for small shady area Andrew Thomson United Kingdom 4 17-04-2003 10:20 PM
grass for shady area? cheryl Gardening 5 25-02-2003 08:39 PM