Old 19-05-2008, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Anywhere else been invaded by sycamore pods?

Bob H wrote:

I can only assume it is due to the long winter and winds we had that my
gardens etc were absolutely covered in the dammed pods. I swept/cleaned
up most of what I could see at the time, but now, several months on,
they are sprouting up everywhere....in my borders, in between cracks in
concrete, in between paving slabs, in gravel, and anywhere else I
missed. I have been constantly picking out the seedlings evertime I go
outside when I see them sprouting.

You must have a sycamore tree nearby.

Is there any quick kill for these seedlings or do I just have to carry
on picking out? Also has anywhere else had a similar problem either now
or in the past?

Anything will kill them whilst they are still small. Strimmer, lawn
mower. Hoe, dig, spray with whichever weedkiller you happen to be using.
Even a size 10 boot will see them off as seedlings.

Something fast acting like Weedol is probably your best bet.

Regards,
Martin Brown