Old 22-05-2008, 12:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
phorbin phorbin is offline

Default Planting out

In article ,
says...
In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article ,
says...

Hi,

I have just bought some young plants (tomatoes, red chilli, sweet
pepper, courgette, french beans) directly from the growers on
www.plantconnection.co.uk, but have a dilemma. We live 1000 foot above
sea level and are facing the incoming atlantic winds.
How much should we delay planting the plants outside as nature up here
seems to be lagging a few weeks behind the valley.

If you have neighbours with successful gardens at your altitude, why not
ask them?

They'd know the area, wind, weather, soil and planting times.

That's advice that many people overlook for way too long. Ask the old
timers what works and what doesn't.

But don't always believe everything they say. The homesteaders out here
said we're too high in elevation to grow raspberries. Then a bunch of
Old Believer Russians moved into the neighborhood and immediately
planted big raspberry patches that thrived. Now everyone grows them.

The stories I look for are experiential and real. I usually take them as
cautionary, not prohibitive.

Anything that hasn't been tried is open to being tried. Anything that
has failed, might work with a little ingenuity.

I planted a couple of apple trees last year. The old timers say we're
too high for apples. We'll see...

What variety?