Old 22-05-2008, 06:10 PM posted to sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc
[email protected] plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com is offline

Default anyone else have a field solid in clover?? a field entirely inclover, how to get it and keep it; experiment

I thought I better post to sci.agriculture for they may know more.

wrote:
This experiment started in 2004 and so it is 4 years old now. I have a
good size field and seeded it
in clover instead in 2004. We had a wet spring one year and I
thought it would kill the clover since it was underwater for about a
month, but it seems to
have recovered. I would say that about 20% of the field is now solid
in clover. It seems to
take over in clumps or patches.

What I am doing is mowing around the patches of solid clover, in hopes
that it will go to seed
and fill in the entire rest of the field. Is that a good idea? Or will
clover spread faster if I mowed
it oblivious to the clover? Sometimes plants lose their vitality once
they gone to seed. Maybe
clover is one of those plants that spreads faster if not gone to seed.

Does anyone have a yard or field that is solid clover? I know farmers
have fields solid in
alfalfa, so why not solid in clover?

I do not know what the artistic value of clover is, but it certainly
seems to be one of the prettiest
green plants, whether it is the dark green or the round shape or the
general form of clover, but
something makes it a pretty green plant.

Perhaps clover is the leaf that has the closest to being a "circle" or
perhaps it
is the darkness of its green leaf with a splotch of white that makes
it pretty.

Perhaps (sic) I am the only one striving to have a entire field of clover or does
some gardens in England
or Europe have attained entire fields of clover?

What I like to know is how to make the field overcome in clover,
whether letting it
go to seed favors the clover, or am I best to mow it.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium