Old 22-05-2008, 08:29 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc

Default a field entirely in clover, how to get it and keep it; experiment

This experiment started in 2004 and so it is 4 years old now. I have a
good size field and seeded it
in clover instead in 2004. We had a wet spring one year and I
thought it would kill the clover since it was underwater for about a
month, but it seems to
have recovered. I would say that about 20% of the field is now solid
in clover. It seems to
take over in clumps or patches.

What I am doing is mowing around the patches of solid clover, in hopes
that it will go to seed
and fill in the entire rest of the field. Is that a good idea? Or will
clover spread faster if I mowed
it oblivious to the clover? Sometimes plants lose their vitality once
they gone to seed. Maybe
clover is one of those plants that spreads faster if not gone to seed.

Does anyone have a yard or field that is solid clover? I know farmers
have fields solid in
alfalfa, so why not solid in clover?

I do not know what the artistic value of clover is, but it certainly
seems to be one of the prettiest
green plants, whether it is the dark green or the round shape or the
general form of clover, but
something makes it a pretty green plant.

So I am the only one striving to have a entire field of clover or does
some gardens in England
or Europe have attained entire fields of clover?

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium

Old 22-05-2008, 06:10 PM posted to sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc

I thought I better post to sci.agriculture for they may know more.

wrote:
[...]

Perhaps clover is the leaf that has the closest to being a "circle" or
perhaps it
is the darkness of its green leaf with a splotch of white that makes
it pretty.

Perhaps (sic) I am the only one striving to have a entire field of clover or does
some gardens in England
or Europe have attained entire fields of clover?

What I like to know is how to make the field overcome in clover,
whether letting it
go to seed favors the clover, or am I best to mow it.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
Old 22-05-2008, 10:13 PM posted to sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc

On May 22, 6:10*pm, wrote:
What I like to know is how to make the field overcome in clover,
whether letting it
go to seed favors the clover, or am I best to mow it.

There are different types of clover; however generally speaking,
cutting about 6 inches above the ground favors clover at the
detriment of grass. With an annual clover it is best to stop mowing
once the seed pods start to form so your clover will reseed.

Small grains and even some vegetables can be grown in a
field of clover without ploughing. The grains, barley, wheat, etc.
will just grow through the cover of clover.

Dieter
Old 23-05-2008, 06:47 AM posted to sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc

wrote:
On May 22, 6:10�pm, wrote:
What I like to know is how to make the field overcome in clover,
whether letting it
go to seed favors the clover, or am I best to mow it.

There are different types of clover; however generally speaking,
cutting about 6 inches above the ground favors clover at the
detriment of grass. With an annual clover it is best to stop mowing
once the seed pods start to form so your clover will reseed.

Small grains and even some vegetables can be grown in a
field of clover without ploughing. The grains, barley, wheat, etc.
will just grow through the cover of clover.

Dieter

Thanks for the advice. I never realized that a crop can grow right
through
a clover cover. That sounds like the most perfect form of agriculture
where
the clover stops erosion, stops ploughing and adds fertilizer to the
crop.

Yes, I would think that is the maximum agriculture. To gain a field in
clover
and then plant a crop. Never ploughing and never needing to fertilize.

About the only thing to do is to mow between the crop rows.

I hate to mow through my clover which is almost knee deep.

Dieter, a further question. Can you recommend a species of clover
which is
the most tough and long lasting of the clovers? Is it a white clover?
What is
the most durable clovers?
Old 25-05-2008, 04:36 PM posted to sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc

On May 23, 12:47Â*am, wrote:
wrote:
On May 22, 6:10�pm, wrote:
What I like to know is how to make the field overcome in clover,
whether letting it
go to seed favors the clover, or am I best to mow it.

There are different types of clover; however generally speaking,
cutting about 6 inches above the ground favors clover at the
detriment of grass. Â*With an annual clover it is best to stop mowing
once the seed pods start to form so your clover will reseed.

Small grains and even some vegetables can be grown in a
field of clover without ploughing. Â*The grains, barley, wheat, etc.
[...]

the most durable clovers?- Hide quoted text -

The last year I experiment with bersem clover in my field and in my
clay land find that if is the first time work best if you plow the
land in such way become aerate and inoculate the seed to get nitrogen
from the air that breath the plant. I expect you not have pressure of
grass of other weed that can compete with this seed and win. And you
must expect one rain period that can maintain wet the superficies of
the land for more of tree days .

(Excuse my English)
Javier H. Davila

G.G. N.L. Mexico

Old 26-05-2008, 08:00 AM posted to sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc

On May 23, 1:47 am, wrote:
wrote:
On May 22, 6:10�pm, wrote:
[...]

Experimenting with activated teas. Whatever microbes
are present in healthy clumps of clover can be multiplied
astronomically by dumping a couple of generous handfuls
of soil into a bucket of chlorine-free water with a shot of
molasses or other sugar source. Aerate with an aquarium
stone for several days, then dilute and apply to the field to
be inoculated.

I figure teas for specific plants can be brewed just by
using samples of the appropriate humus as the base.

Old 26-05-2008, 07:01 PM posted to sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc

Javier H. wrote:

The last year I experiment with bersem clover in my field and in my
clay land find that if is the first time work best if you plow the
land in such way become aerate and inoculate the seed to get nitrogen
from the air that breath the plant. I expect you not have pressure of
grass of other weed that can compete with this seed and win. And you
must expect one rain period that can maintain wet the superficies of
the land for more of tree days .

(Excuse my English)
Javier H. Davila

G.G. N.L. Mexico

Thanks for the information. It led me to arrowhead clover or Berseem
which led me to this website:

http://overton.tamu.edu/clover/cool/species.htm

According to them, white clover is better suited for the colder
climate here
in South Dakota and also white clover reseeds very high.

Tell me Javier, since I have never collected the seeds of clover. Does
clover have
one seed crop per year? When does the seed mature? How will I know the
seed
is mature? And when can I collect and gather the seed?

This clover seed collecting is a new experience for me.
Thanks in advance for any answers.
Old 27-05-2008, 03:35 AM posted to sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc

On May 26, 1:01*pm, wrote:
Javier H. wrote:
[...]

I don’t know about the seeds, always buy it, you can expriment with
the cut of the clover, if you made it short you can kill them but if
you let them enough long then survive and the roots go deeper in the
land, improving the structure that is one excellent goal to get.

You can find lot of information in the publication -managing cover
crops profitably- made one search of this.

Javier H. Davila
(Excuse my English)
GG NL Mexico
Old 06-07-2008, 10:40 PM posted to sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc

I include some photos of cover crops that seed in my field, you can
see the size of the hairy vetch in the photo 05 in one part of the
field that was ploughed, and how the clover not grow enough in the
photos 12 and 13, don’t know if not receive enough water of the rain
or not breathe for the compacted soil în this place.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13735317@N00/sets/

(Excuse my English)
Javier H. Davila
GG NL Mex.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:24 AM posted to sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc

Javier H. wrote:
I include some photos of cover crops that seed in my field, you can
see the size of the hairy vetch in the photo 05 in one part of the
field that was ploughed, and how the clover not grow enough in the
photos 12 and 13, don�t know if not receive enough water of the rain
or not breathe for the compacted soil �n this place.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13735317@N00/sets/

(Excuse my English)
Javier H. Davila
GG NL Mex.

Thanks for the photo tour. I should some day set up my website to show
pictures of interest.

I liked your vetch flowering, pretty flower.

Say, Javier, would you happen to know when clover seed is mature? I
keep checking for some
"solid granular hard seed" so far only soft brown dying flower.

Also, have you ever done any grafting of trees?

Old 12-07-2008, 09:50 PM posted to sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc

Say, Javier, would you happen to know when clover seed is mature? I
keep checking for some
"solid granular hard seed" so far only soft brown dying flower.

Also, have you ever done any grafting of trees?

With the weeds, I often brush in the palm of the hands some flowers
that suspect have seeds and that appear., that must work for the
clover.

Don’t have experience with grafting, some with avocado, is necessary
the skin of the tree and the graft be in contact, as the important
thing I remember.

thanks for see the photos.

(Excuse my English)
Javier H. Davila
GG NL Mex.
Old 17-07-2008, 05:25 AM posted to sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc

Default strawberries anyone else have a field solid in clover??

Javier H. wrote:
(snipped)

Hi Javier, do you grow strawberries down there? Or is it too hot for
strawberries in Mexico?
Old 17-07-2008, 06:27 PM posted to sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc

On Jul 16, 11:25*pm, wrote:

Hi Javier, do you grow strawberries down there? Or is it too hot for
strawberries in Mexico?

I have not cultivated strawberries.

I'm in a learning period in which attempt to connect agriculture with
the factor economic, I have a lot of time in this (more than 10
years), I found and read that it is not possible because the market is
changing so that I can not understand. As well try to include other
factors such as Organic Agriculture and conservation of the soil. (I
have not been yet certify, I hope I do when economically feasible), .
And I see that very far. Now I would just like to emotionally
stabilize the frustrations that I have expriment.

I learn English of one dictionary that is why I apologize if sometimes
I can not express myself properly.

Javier H. Davila

Old 18-07-2008, 07:46 AM posted to sci.agriculture,sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc

Javier H. wrote:
On Jul 16, 11:25�pm, wrote:

Hi Javier, do you grow strawberries down there? Or is it too hot for
strawberries in Mexico?

I have not cultivated strawberries.

I'm in a learning period in which attempt to connect agriculture with
the factor economic, I have a lot of time in this (more than 10
years), I found and read that it is not possible because the market is
changing so that I can not understand. As well try to include other
factors such as Organic Agriculture and conservation of the soil. (I
have not been yet certify, I hope I do when economically feasible), .
And I see that very far. Now I would just like to emotionally
stabilize the frustrations that I have expriment.

I learn English of one dictionary that is why I apologize if sometimes
I can not express myself properly.

Javier H. Davila

Any nut trees in your region that are native? Is the Pinyon Pine with
pinenuts grow there?